Dumaguete Info Search

I don't understand why almost everyone marrys a Filipina......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mark K, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Thought I would start a contentious thread, for want of something to do, during these strange times. I'm also genuinely interested to hear what people think.

I've been living in the Philippines, on and off, for a while now (over 4 years). In Dumaguete in particular, I sometimes feel I'm one of a tiny minority here that's not married and/ or living with a Filipina.

Now I can think of about a dozen or so reasons not to marry a Filipina (or any nationality for that matter), which I won't go into here, but I struggle to find reasons to do so. Don't get me wrong, I like Filipinos, they're one of my favourite nationalities.

But I'm wondering why, apart from a visa, almost everyone here does it? Furthermore, the vast majority of whom seem to have already have been married and gone through a messy divorce, so why put yourself through that again?

Am I missing something here? Please enlighten me as I feel I might be missing out on something......?

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    So my Friend based on your Post I would ask, Why are you here? :bag:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Philippines or Filipina was not a choice for me, my wife was.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Well that's an interesting question, and perhaps suggests the only reason to come here is for the women.........

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm here because I love The Philippines. I love the nature, the slow pace of life, the climate, the cost of living, the friendly smiling welcoming people, the lack of stress or worry, the fact that people aren't judged based on what car they drive or labels they wear or brand of phone they use, the ease of living here as an expat compared to many countries in Asia, the fact that English is widely spoken, the fruit, the seafood, the cheap alcohol.

And the women :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Well, you are saying that you have a dozen of reasons not to marry a Filipina. But refusing to elaborate. Which is ok for me. But it seems at the same time you are very afraid of missing out something in your life (i.e. Filipinas) and you want know from us what this might be. Sorry, can't help you there. Just live you life to the fullest. Then at the end of your days you don't have to worry anymore of having missed something.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  6. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If we have to explain then you won't understand anyway... just live your life

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I don’t think think that most people make it a first condition that the woman they marry be a Filipina. You just find the woman and learn where she comes from, at least for me, 35 years ago. I had never been here and couldn’t differentiate Asian nationalities very well. Also, I met her in the USA, kept working there for 33 more years after getting married, had 2 kids, put them through college in the US, retired and moved here as I had promised early on in the marriage. I was not an old fat guy marrying a young Filipina at the time; I weighed 145 lbs and we are both close in age. Now I am an old fat guy married to a not as young Filipina. So as you may have guessed, many don’t go searching for Asian women or particularly desire to live here when they start out, it’s just the way it turns out. And yes, I was young and divorced at the time and didn’t necessarily want to get married again, however, her visitor visa was expiring so we got married and she got a green card. She became a US citizen. Best decision I ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 7
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I got Married only after sowing more Oats than Quaker Harvest. Other than that,,,,,,, my fridge magnets can explain.
    Da Wifey.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Filipinas are known for their being good housekeepers---they like having children and keeping a home. They are mostly faithful and loyal to their husband and are good mothers to their children. Of course, there are exceptions but I am talking about the majority. This is what I have noticed. Filipinas are fiercely family-oriented.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    There are probably several common reasons. I believe one benefit some perceive when thinking of marriage VS just being an informal couple is to "own" property here.

• Agree Agree x 1