Dumaguete Info Search

I need updated cost of living numbers please

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by southerndon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi guys,

the last time I was in the Philippines I had a minimal budget of about $300 a month.

We all know that's simple living for americans...but I had a great time on that budget and far better time than I imagined I would. I knew there would be sacrifices to be made for that budget and I made them really with no problem. Aircon was really the biggy for me...and I traveled but not as much as I would have liked to.

I also know the peso to dollar conversion has dropped about 20% from that time (it was 2005)

My food budget was 1500 pesos a week for my ex-gf and myself..

my rent, was a room rented from her uncle for 1500 pesos a month plus half the electricity bill.

these were my two biggest expense there...

I don't plan on partying too much at Why Not this time like I did before but sometimes I'm sure my fiance and I will want to go out...

now that I ahve laid this ground work...

Can you guys tell me what to expect if I rent an apartment or maybe a house...but I won't pay too much per month for either...$150 tops per month.I would like to have something furnished too.

What will the power bill be with Aircon...I need and deserve it this time but can do without if need be.

has the food cost gone up also? This is eating Filipino food most of the time...not american food. would I be able to keep the budget the same?

I'm also planning a wedding too...but that's a one time cost but I still need to add it to the "bring to the Philippines" budget...LOL...

I may sound nit picky but this is how I managed to do it on such a small budget for 5 months the last time. I estimated every cost I could...it works for me I hope you guys can put me on the money. At least close enough for government work maybe?

I also need a place and price on 5 gallon bottled water delivered. I know it's there i just done remember where we go it...

Thanks for everything...

Southerndon

2. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not going to comment on your expected cost of living, however, I can suggest you go to the search feature on this forum and type in cost of living in dumaguete. That will bring up a post from last May. I doubt that costs have changed too much in the last few months. I wish you the best on your adventure and hope you keep us posted on how your doing.

Sincerely,

3. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Uhmmm... let me see. Well, i lived on at least $600 a month.

My rent in an unfurnished apartment was about 5,000 pesos. Nothing fancy, just a small unit with your basic necessities (I lived alone). It was in Bunao, I found it very inaccesible (I'm a big city girl) but people thought it was okay.

For food, 1500 per week would be okay if you plan to eat at home and you plan to do some real cooking. Try going to the Saturday night market when vegetables are cheap. If you rely heavily on restaurants/fastfood like me, 2500 pesos per week would be safe.

If you plan to use airconditioning fo 12 hours a day, be prepared to shell out 2500 at least per month for a .5hp unit.

As for the wedding, my husband and I spent 400,000 pesos for 100 guests excluding airfares and accomodations. I think, a wedding in Dumaguete with be much cheaper. You can probably budget 200,000 or less provided you don't fly in vendors from Manila or Cebu. There are a lot of caterers who can give you a good package.

4. OP
    OP
    southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks Tom

I found that post that you are talking about...I believe it's you that started it am I right...anyway It's helpful and put me at ease as i don't think im too out of touch even after 2 year absence.

Feel free to comment on my expected cost of living. I welcome any advice as long as it's with good intention.

once again thanks,

Southerndon

5. OP
    OP
    southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    if you found it ok...that's the most important thing...what other people think in this case only matters if they are paying the rent LOL...Right?

I do plan on doing real cooking and I don't eat out fast food too much...Maybe a pizza from time to time..but I don't eat a lot of fast food here in USA..so I won't be relying on that...

I actually prefer Filipino cooking...with an exception of RICE from time to time...lol...it does get old but I can replace it with fried eggplant or more veggies and fruit. It worked for me last time...:wink:

I can do without aircon all day but it's nice to have for relief from the heat at times I just want the option this time as opposed to the last visit.

thanks for you help it's really given me some good direction...

Southerndon

6. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    $300 month to live

sorry but I have to say this, this is a poor 3rd world country, it needs tourists to spend some money here, you come from one of the richest countries in the world. if you can manage on $300 or $100 I would not state that, I find it distasteful to the legions of people here who have to survive on a bowl of rice a day and they can't get on a plane back to the states.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Exactly, c'mon Guys, get yer hands in yer pocket, dig deep and spend it in pinoys shops. stuff the why not bars.
    Jim :D

8. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How people manage their money is no body's business but theirs....no matter where they from....Nigeria or Monaco. You have no idea what their finacial situations are, so STFU.

9. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    Eddy,

Southerndon is asking about the cost of living in Dumaguete. How is he supposed to do that without stating figures? Fill in the blanks? " I have ___ to spend for electricity. Is that enough per month?"

Tourist dollars are great for the economy but the expat dollar is more reliable and is there for the community everyday.

Chi Town

10. cheche

cheche DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jimeve............cumon... not all expats live in duma are rich...they all work hard thru out there life to have a good nest egg when time comes and need to watch there spending too.. we are all... lol...