Dumaguete Info Search

I was offered a new position in China..

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Teacher, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about working in China?

2. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    no personal knowledge. of the people i know who work / have worked there. 20% love it, 40% like it and 40% dislike it.

3. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi Teacher,

This is just my observation...I worked in China for several years during the '90's and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found working with my local counterparts to be enjoyable as they were hard working and eager to learn. Locals, for the most part, were friendly, wanted to try their English with you. Food was cheap, plentiful and delicious!! You could buy all kinds of products at low prices. We had western style apartments. Plus, it was a great experience watching the country develop and change at a fast rate. I'm not sure how it is now, it may have slowed a bit, but it probably still has that energy. Hope this helps.

4. OP
    OP
    Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the input. I know many of my students really don't understand why they have to learn English here in Taiwan. It makes me a little crazy trying to teach kids that really don't want to learn English. Its like baby sitting not teaching. Hearing that students are eager to learn is like living in a dream.. just wondering can you save money working for 5000 RMB a month? do you remember how much it cost live there? I know I only need food personal items. how much can it cost?

5. West Coast Hokies

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    RE: Working in China

Your welcome...During my stay, I met several British and American teachers who really enjoyed their experience at the local universities.

To save a little on 5000 RMB a month would probably be tough, but doable if you stay diciplined. Unfortunately, you may not have a chance to even occasionally splurge.

Food and restaurant prices vary depending on the city and the types of restaraunts. We lived in Chengdu, which is the capital of Sichuan. And Sichuan is considered the breadbasket of China. There were alot of farms nearby. Markets and little cooking stands were everywhere. The costs were around 10x less than in Shanghai or Beijing. Plus the dishes were better, especially if you like spicy food! A big bowl of noodles at a local restaurant, for example would cost 2Y, where in Shanghai it would be 15Y. But I'm sure that's changed a bit.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a clear cut choice. Good luck on your decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Jiangshan City, Zhejiang Province

This is were they want to send me. in the middle of no where. Should be cheap Shanghai is about three hours to the north. My wife and I are real home bodies anyway we are always happy being together. But the pay is about a third of what I make teaching in Taiwan..This a interesting choice because we only work to make money so we can go home. if I can't make profit I'm not sure teaching in China would be worth it.. :confused:

7. West Coast Hokies

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Based on that information, I would agree, that it's probably not worth it....It's not enough to make it worthwhile... Anyhow, again Good Luck!!

8. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have recently worked in China for more than 8 years, left in mid 2007. 1 yr Zhengang, about 3/4 hrs from Shanghai, 1 yr Weifang Shandong, and the rest Chengdu, Sichuan.

Your question is very simple, but like most things Chinese the answer is very complex. I not you have spent time in Taiwan, I have not been to Taiwan, so will try to give my impressions.

environment, typically very polluted, lots of construction, high dust levels.

food, in the area you might go, oily and sweet. Different parts of China, different food styles. I got tired of it and much prefer Vietnamese, Thai food.

accommodation can range from very good, to crap, becareful

assistance/support, if the person "that looks after you" at the school/university has been overseas they can be " a little helpful", other wise you maybe treated with little respect/hostility eg why are you earning more and have better treatment than the other Chinese teachers

class sizes, in middle schools can be up to 80/90 students, universities bigger. I will only teach up to 30/35

Shanghai is expensive.

I was there more than 8 yrs, so can not be too bad,

9. OP
    OP
    Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Thanks for the Info Sid

I think my plan is to keep working Taiwan for now. Then go to china if I have no choice. The people in Taiwan are very friendly it really isn't much different than living in America except that taxes are much lower. and everything is in Chinese food is good. A great mix of Chinese and Japanese food here. The weather is a mix of California winter, and a Philippines summer. But really the only reason I work is to make more capital for the business I want to open.. So this is much easier to do in Taiwan for now...:D

10. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Worked in China 1999-2003, can't help you much, as I was never 'self employed'. It was okay, but in the many places I worked outside the major cities, life was dirty, primitive and extremely basic. (especially toilets):eek: