Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden ICF concrete roof forms

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by danbandanna, Feb 24, 2023.

1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Currently building a 9 x 5 meter addition onto our house to have bedroom, bath and storage. This will have a flat concrete roof and am researching insulation methods. ICF seems to be the best way to add insulation to the roof when poured but have no idea where to obtain these forms. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to keep this bedroom cool ? btw the roof will also be used as a deck which will dictate that any insulation be in the ceiling or included in the initial form when poured.

Thanks

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Insulation is much of a swear word in PH some may even think you are AYFH to even consider this? besides that what may be available in western countries is highly likely not to be available in PH, just do what everyone else does a install a large AC unit.

Unless there was a supreme view to be had at this higher elevation, this is not something I would even remotely consider and I would be happy with a shaded patio at ground level preferably on the north side of the house.

Roof decks are a fecking useless dumb idea unless you provide a shading roof over them, I have been up on a couple of unshaded ones and only lasted a few minutes, you can even see the heat haze rising from them, if I remember correctly ShawnM may have had this problem with his and had to take corrective action?

3. OP
    OP
    danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Regardless still need to insulate .... thanks

4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think ICF would be pretty cool for walls, but haven't come across in the Philippines. Another option would be the extruded polystyrene (XPS) panels can be screwed directly to the concrete deck (or furring strips) and then plaster over like you would do a stucco style of finish. You can also put the panels on the roof deck, but then you are looking at a built up roofing that may be hard to source there. For walls I like the EVG panels, gives you some thermal value and fast to install. You could always go with block to fill in between the beams and columns and source the styrofoam peanuts and mix with your cement to fill in the cells of the hollow block...I'm curious to see how much of an R value you could get from that; probably would need to use 6" block instead of 4".

I love the flat roof idea for the usable space, using a lighter colored elastomeric roof coating will keep it cooler for when you are up there, keep the room cooler and also seals the roof...some folks will also use tile. Higher ceiling heights (9'-10') will also keep the room feeling a bit cooler.

Good luck and let us know what route you decide to go with.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Shawn I have a feeling with your background you are going to be a very sought out person here. Are you considering doing any building of yourself in Negroes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Pedro...I have a lot of building plans for the farm land we purchased around a year ago, definitely a 2-3 year process to get things where we want them and the facilities to support.

If you mean I plan to build for other folks...nope, when I call it a real retirement in a few years my concentration will be on the farm and what me and the lovely wife want to do.

I am always cool with passing on advice and helping out with technical issues...that may cost a beer or two though!

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pedro

Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Sounds like we have very similar plans. I am also 2-3 years away from what I would call full retirement.

8. Pedro

Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    If you are in the province this month I would like to get together and check out your build and future farm. We love growing fruit and have been "practicing" in Florida several years now. My wives family has some farm land north of Valencia but we really want to have some of our own. We like San Jose and Sibulan and will undoubtedly be checking lots in those areas in the next few weeks. Maybe we can arrange a get-together.

9. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Unfortunately I won't get back until sometime in May; got to finish up my current project...crunch time now.

Good luck on finding a lot, quite a challenge to find clear land. I agree, San Jose is cool and I did spend a few hours in and around Sibulan this last trip...beautiful views.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1