Dumaguete Info Search

inexpensive solar light

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by johncarson, Nov 22, 2012.

1. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    One doesn’t have to look far to see homes with no electricity, where the only night light may be a dangerous, polluting kerosene lamp. While solar power plants remain expensive, I have discovered an inexpensive way to provide a degree of light to homes where there is none, and a backup for nocturnal brownouts. It’s a tiny solar charged light called a d.light S1. It can light up a small area and provide a reading or task lamp for 4 to 8 hours after a day’s charging in the sun. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it’s available here for roughly the same price as in the US – that is about p500 per unit. Although it’s normally sold only by the box, 36 units, I have obtained two, which I’d be glad to demonstrate or lend out. If anyone is interested in splitting a box with me, hopefully keeping only a couple and giving the rest away, please let me know.
    If you’d like to contact the distributor directly, this is his address: Jhun.Mallanao@connectplace.com. You can find information and customer reviews at Amazon.com.
    BTW, I have absolutely no interest in this company or this product other than I like this for myself, and I like the idea that something this small and inexpensive can make a huge improvement in the lives of many Filipinos.
    View attachment 8943

Attached Files:

2. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HI John you can put me down for 2 units if that helps . i will give them to my partners family you can contact me domaillen@yahoo.com
    cheers

3. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Good idea! I wish I had P9000 to throw-in for half a box, but bad timing for me right now. I know many people without electricity in their homes. After Christmas, maybe the Thursday Club could start a collection to see how many lights they could purchase and distribute to families with kids in school and no electricity. A small light would certainly help them complete their homework, especially since many kids arrive home from school just before dark.

As a side note, there was also a recent invention that appears to work well, providing free daytime light in dark homes. It uses plastic soft drink bottles filled with water and a bit of bleach. Info found here: Solar Bottle Bulbs equal to 55-Watt Electric Light Bulb video | Info Rains

Attached Files:

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I saw that 20 years ago in south America, there was the problem that people did not use it on metal roofs and sometimes glass bottles. The bottle/water combination worked like a magnifying glass and it happened that the whole place turned into a pile of charchoal

Anyway, considering the time-difference between the Philippines and the rest of the world, the PI "invented" it 8 hours and 60 years ahead of local standard time... hehe

However, I like that little Solar light a lot, good find ! :smile:

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  6. OP
    OP
    johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    Thanks for your suggestion, Firefly. It’s good to know there are reasonably priced alternatives in solar power available here. I have checked out the Kiran S11. It appears to be similar to the d.light S10. I haven’t got the price on it yet, but I believe it is around p800. It would definitely be a good item to have. (For numerous customer reviews of both lights, check Amazon.com.) For the purpose of giving away lights, I’d prefer the less expensive S1. The important thing to me is to be able to provide some degree of safe, free light to homes and families where there is none, and to have an adequate light for reading and chores for myself during brownouts.

7. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Great idea! Read the first Amazon.com comment describing them. It will make you laugh.

8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I picked up one of John's solar lights to test, and ironically a few hours after I picked it up we had a one hour brownout and tested out the light. The light is great, small, compact, and looks cool. The issue is we would need enough people interested in splitting up a box of 36, cost 18k pesos, in order to purchase a case from Manila. John is willing to let any of the members try one out.

9. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hj Pato told john i will take 2 units i will make that 4 if others will join in .
    cheers

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hey john... i just woke up from a long sleep, they calls it ''brownout'' here, all 3 weeks of it. is the group lamp buy thingie still on? for the d.light S1 or the Kiran S11? if so, i'd take 3 of them.

thanks...
    norm : ))~