Dumaguete Info Search

Internet and computer question

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Gglid1, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gglid1

Gglid1 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess I am a bit spoiled by having high speed internet available. I remember several years ago when I was in the Philippines that the connection speeds were very slow. Has high-speed internet made its way there yet? Also, what about using equipment from the US? Are there issues with the electricty difference?
    Been a while since I was there and I am trying to get up to speed on issues like this.
    Any advise will be much appreciated!

Gary

2. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    If you are bringing a PC with you, it most likely has a switch by the power supply plug that enables you to use 220 volts so that would not be an issue. Of course you will need to buy a battery backup locally so you can use the local voltage. Most laptops can run on either 110 or 220 so they will probably be okay. My LCD Monitors are all auto-switching voltage so there is not an issue. Just check your equipment to see where you stand

The quality and speed of your connection largely depends on how serious you are and how much you want to pay. Connections are not the greatest in Dumaguete, but maybe they are looking up! Come on PLDT!! You could use a load balancing router and run two connections such as Sky Cable and Smart Bro or Globe. You could then have two connections running concurrently or if you do not want to use a load balancing router you can just have one connnection for backup when the one you primarily use goes down - and it will go down.

There is lots of info here about the internet situation and it is fairly current as it is a hot topic for us ex-pats.

A generator is a good idea too.

3. OP
    OP
    Gglid1

Gglid1 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was under the impression (mistakenly I guess) that the local voltage runs at 110 as in the US. I will check my equipment and make sure it will adapt. I may get a PSU anyway and that should remedy the current difference as far as I know. Thanks for the good info! I will definately look into a battery back up and a load balancing router as you suggested.

Thanks a ton!
    Gary

4. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Just read the info printed on your adapters for charging everything. Most will say "100vac-220vac" meaning that they will work here. However, the wall outlets here only have 2 prongs and not a third "ground" pin, so bring adapters for that (Home Depot - electrical section) or you will have to cut off the ground pin which I don't like to do.

5. OP
    OP
    Gglid1

Gglid1 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the 2 prong/ no ground receptacles. I'll put that on my list of things to bring.
    About 4 weeks to go...will be 7 degrees (f) tonight.:(

6. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Today here- high of 89 and low of 75 tonight. That's why I'm here. I don't do 7 at night EVER again. Lol
    Even in Houston, where I'm from, it's going down to the low 50's tonight. I can handle heat but I can't handle cold any more.
    The Philippines are waiting for you!

7. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And if you don't already have one, an iPhone (unlocked) with a metric conversion program, a money conversion program and a translation program has helped me many times. All 3 of those are free apps at the iPhone app store. Reasonably cheap there, expensive here.
    Good luck.

8. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And.....if you don't already know.....shorts, colored t-shirts and flip-flops (called slippers here) is the normal dress code. And get a tan on your legs before you come. They still joke with me about my white white legs when I came here lol

9. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The two prong / three prong dilemma!

Even though I don't plan on going back to the three prong world, I always hesitate when I go to bend off that ground prong. I keep thinking to myself that I am going to build a house with grounding outlets and then I won't have any three prong plugs to go into those outlets.

10. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Unfortunately, shorts will be scarce this time of year in 7 degree country so you might as well buy them here, Same with flip flops unless your foot is over size 10. I did find a supply of Dickies white T-shirts at Metro Department store in Market! Market! that actually have pockets. I stocked up on those for when I get back to the probince.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.