Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet in Negros Oriental between Dumaguete and Zamboanguita?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Brian Oinks, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I searched here for Internet Posts and did not find what I was looking for.

I have tried asking my wife to ask about getting the Internet on at the house, let's not go there... :confused:

I have tried finding an email address to Smart or Globe to ask but after chasing my tail it leads to the Store at Robinsons where you buy your Sim card and buy Load for the Sim. My Wife did ask them there but I could not make head nor tail of their reply as it made no sense. o_O

So; I know Zamboanguita has a somewhat reliable service at the cafe's but when my Wife asks the operators in the Cafes, it seems to be a mix of Cable and Wifi and 4G... But trying to research it seems 3G is more reliable and I wish to connect my PC to the internet, not my Mobile Phone...

I assume there would be a Cable running from Dumaguete to Zamboanguita along the national Highway. I am hoping to gain Internet at the House by running a Cable from the main line to the House. Do I assume correct?

I want something like ADSL at the House if possible, not WiFi.

Brian Oinks
    This message by Brian Oinks has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Bad Form! Bad Form! x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Brian, don't assume anything here! I don't think there is DSL internet in zambo but there is wireless via a mast of some sort. I think the DSL stops around bacong- San Miguel. Then prob good idea to look into globe tatoo wireless from your place, when you sign up also check out the download limits as sometimes they are low depending how you use it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Globe Tattoo should hold you off until you find a better solution. If you have a smart phone you can get a internet plan on your phone and then tether the internet to your computer via USB or wireless.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am trying to steer clear of the Wireless Dustin as it affects me somehow when I am around it, hard to sleep, headaches, I find the further I am from suburbia the better I feel and sleep, we turned the Wireless off here at the modem as it remained on when switched off via the switch and we have both found we do not have dull headaches all the time and sleep better at night. Also Smart Phones are too smart for me :oops: If I was being attacked I would have a better chance of throwing my Nokia at them than attempting to phone the Emergency Number as I just can NOT get a grip on these new BS Phones :(

Davy; are you referring to those Houses along the Highway that have what appears to be very large UHF/VHF Antennas on top of them? I live around 15/17 kilometers from Bacong and was hoping if Zamboanguita proper has (a somewhat) reliable Internet then maybe a Cable went past the House where I could connect via a landline... I doubt I would be able to erect a large Mast with an Antenna on top as the land around us does not belong to us.

My Wife has the Smart Pocket WiFi which works in Zamboanguita but does not work at Home. It is also a PITA as it works for a couple of hours before the Battery goes flat which then takes around 4 to 5 hours to recharge it again. My problem is I Buy and Sell Online and I need a reliable connection where I can get something done during the day... :(

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's called a nocebo effect. I don't know how they treat that though. Maybe convince yourself that wifi signals are not ionizing frequencies?

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Brian, I think you will struggle in zambo with fast reliable internet! I may be wrong though and they have extended the lines. We are on the bacong-valencia rd and DSL internet ends just past us and starts again in valencia, also the tv we only get analogue and that also ends near us!
    Most people I know in zambo use the masts or pocket wifi.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+

It is strange mate, I lived for 23 years in my little between Electricity Cables on 3 sides of my House with High Tension Towers on one side, High Voltage at the front, Domestic Power on the other end and sat beside the Meter Box. It wasn't until I spent 6 weeks in Negros I began to wonder why my health was coming forwards in leaps and bounds, I had ignored everything that everyone had told me about it being dangerous with Powerlines so close to my house...

Thinking what I did differently; one was not sleeping with my Mobile Phone beside me on my bed, the other was no radio playing music all night long, and the other was not being surrounded by Electricity...

Within a week of coming home I moved and the poor sleep cycles began again, body pain, when I use my Mobile Phone the inside of my Ear heats up and weeps, my Fillings throb and I get a headache. I just spent a weekend at my Sisters and slept like a log, then a week at my Sons and again slept like a log, come home and again poor sleep cycle and a lot of pain but I have rectified the Mobile Phone problem by turning my phones off when I go to bed and using Earphones when I phone my Wife for an hour each night, so no more dull throbbing headaches when I wake up in the morning, just the usual aches and pain and tiredness from restless sleep where the Sleep Apnoea doesn't help things much.

I am looking forward to going back home to Negros this coming weekend to see if I experience the same improvements I did last year when I was there... I do not believe a lot of hocus pocus but after a few friends developed Tumors exactly where their Bluetooth Earpiece sat over their ear, I honestly do believe that Cell Phones are not healthy for those who make major use of them... o_O

8. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Is Globe Tattoo the Pocket WiFi that you use on your Cell Phone or can it be used on a Desktop PC? My Wife has Smart Pocket WiFi, nothing too smart about it tho as it will only work in Zamboanguita proper or Dumaguete and rarely if ever works around the Malatapay Market area o_O

I have a feeling I am going to have to get industrial in some way and attack this as an Internet Cafe Business would and try and go for a top plan, I am having withdrawals already just thinking about losing my 500GB Monthly ADSL... :eek:

The Internet has been a big part of my daily life for the past 18 years... :( huhu

9. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My Wife uses the Smart Pocket WiFi during the day while she is in Zamboanguita, but it only works for a couple of hours before the Battery goes flat, then takes around 4 to 5 hours to recharge! I have tried ALCATEL regards buying a Battery so she can charge a couple of extras and take with her, but the Part Number they quoted me buys a Battery that is too wide to fit inside the Pocket WiFi Modem (Bought one from the only Guy in the world who advertised one on eBay) Smart are IMPOSSIBLE to contact to ask where we can buy spare Batteries, and I assume their fix is to buy more units and swap modems as each goes flat... :rolleyes:

WHO would you see regards erecting a Mast and Antenna in the Malatapay area? (Hopefully someone who will guarantee connection BEFORE wasting money) :wink:

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's a USB stick that you plug into your computer. I have also seen people use a stand alone "modem" that puts out a WiFi signal that has a battery so you can use it while you are traveling as well. I have never had one of these devices in the Philippines myself though. They worked about as well as the cell phone internet in other countries though. I would only recommend it for a temporary fix until you can find a better option.

I have heard that there is LTE coverage popping up all over Negros now. I would look into that with Globe and Smart when you get here. This would be better speeds than any home internet plan you can find in the area (LTE speeds are around 10-30MBPS in Dumaguete). You can buy a cheap smart phone with LTE capabilities and easily tether the connection to a computer or any other device with WiFi capabilities or a USB port. If you find out this would be an option for you look me up and I can help you with getting a phone that has LTE and tethering capabilities and with the setup.

• Like Like x 1