Dumaguete Info Search

Introduce my wife and I

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tfa1957, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi All,

My wife Jo, an Australian lass and I, an American retiree, both in ourlate 40's, would like to introduce ourselves. We are planning on relocating to the Philippines later this year (after we sell our home in the U.S.). We have researched several different areas in the Philippines, and are still undecided as to where we want to eventually settle down. We are looking at communities that are close to the mountains as well as within driving distance to a nice city. Right now we have been looking at this area and Valencia as places of interest, but there really is very little information on the area as compared to places like Cebu, or Baguio. We're hoping this forum can fill in some details for us and we hope to form some friendships here as well. We look forward to reading and hearing from you folks that are fortunate enough to already be in the Philippines.

Sincerely,

Tom & Jo

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Hi Tom and Jo

A warm welcome to the forum.

This is the hard part when gathering infos of places and not much are available.I hope I don't sound odd ,but since you are both coming to the Philippines end of this year,why don't you visit and stay for a bit of time in places you prospectively are interested in ,perhaps rent a place .Basically learning about the people,culture and general way of life if it suits you both will help make up a better decision .Strange as sometimes what is on the counts in the readings may come out differing from expections of the place. Anyway best of luck to your search of area to settle in PI.

pickled-newt

ps. You mentioned Valencia,that's town near dumaguete and part of the dumaguete metro areas.
    It's mountainous as going uphill from the town of Valencia ,it is few degrees cooler out there
    compared to down in the city ,also away from pollution.

3. Goth

Goth DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Tom and Jo!

Welcome to dumagueteinfo forum. I am sure members can give you, sound advice and extra information about just anything. Valencia is a good choice! good luck!

4. Decon_phils

Decon_phils DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 2
    Hihi Tom & Jo. Welcome to the HIGH IQ club (!!)

We did the big-jump last year, settled down near Sibulan.
    If our experiences can be of any help>> just feel free to ask ( pm pls)

Seeye around
    Ryan

5. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Hello there Tom & Jo. As most of the members, have found a place in Dumaguete (Sibulan). We will be flying on the 4th of next month to see a builder. Welcome and hope you will find a place here too.

6. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Welcome to the forum, Tom and Jo. I'm sure that you'll get the information you need from this forum. Members here have been more than willing to answer the questions being posted in this board:smile:

7. OP
    OP
    tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thank you

Thank you all for the replies to our post and we look forward to getting to know you folks. We're having a pleasant nor'easter today, and this is the type of weather I won't miss. We like the weather to be a bit cool, hence the Valencia area, but we certainly don't like the snow that we're getting right now. My wife and I are making a small list of questions to ask. Are there many expats in the Valencia area? Has there been any safety issues? Has it been difficult to find rentals in the area? Is the cost of living on the lower side compared to other areas? I'm sure we'll have more as time goeson but we appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Tom & Jo

8. Myra

Myra DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello Tom and Jo

Hello - i was happy to read about your future plans and also your questions asked.
    I have the same questions - the only thing is that i am planning to relocate/retire (alone) to the Philippines. Davao seemed to be very popular but i just discovered this forum and Dumaquete city. This place seemed to be very nice as well. I hope to keep myself busy with English/craft teaching.
    Hope to make contact with u later this year - as i would also like to meet other 'brave immigrants' - to join the friendly Philippines.
    Wish u the best
    Myra

9. Goth

Goth DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tom and Jo!

Dumaguete and/or Valencia.......PEACEFUL!! that is for real. monthly cost of living? between 40 and 50 T pesos, if you make your own food maybe cheaper. throw and extra 10 during christmas season (kids expect cash when they sing christmas songs in your house)

10. Lolah_H50

Lolah_H50 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a native of Valencia and have lived there almost all my life. All I can say is, It is the MOST Peaceful, Friendly and Beautiful place there is in the whole world! Very Clean and Green! People just have to experience the place for themselves then judge! Also I have been all over the whole Negros Island and never in my life (so far)have encountered anything scary.
    Pickled_Newt said it all. :wink: PeaceOut!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.