Dumaguete Info Search

Introduction and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Turbota, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Hello everyone ... I have been a member of this forum for awhile, but I have not posted lately because my Filipina wife and I have been living here in Florida for the last 4 years (prior to this, we lived in Bacolod City for 5 years).

Anyway, my wife plans on attending college in Dumaguete (RN) soon. She has been in the Philippines for the last 2 months, and I am flying there in a couple of days.

Question 1: It's been a long time since we visited Duma. We plan on driving our Camry down there from Bacolod so at least we will have a car there while she goes to school ... Is the traffic real bad?

Question 2: Are nice apartments available in the city?

Question 3: The last time we visited Duma (about 6 years ago), There were some expats there, but I wasn't too impressed with the amount of 'western' style restaurants there ... Do there seem to be more restaurants now that serve other than your standard Filipino food?

Question 4: I stopped smoking cigarettes about 15 months ago and started vaping e-cigarettes as a healthier replacement ... Have any of you folks seen any shops in the Duma area that sell vaping items?

Any input from any of the members here would certainly be appreciated! :smile:

Ron,

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    From around 7:30 to 9:30am and from about 5:00 to 7:00pm the traffic is ridiculous. Most other times it is manageable.

You shouldn't have any problems finding nice and affordable apartments in the city.

There is still a lot left to be desired but it has improved quite a bit since I first moved there 5 years ago.

There is (was?) a kiosk in the mall that sold this type of stuff. It seems that it is a trend that is picking up in Dumaguete. I remember a local expat saying he was a distributor of a specific brand name....I only vape on long plane rides (shhh,:wink:) and places that I am not normally allowed to smoke. I do it so irregularly that my once a year visit to the states will hold me off until the next trip.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    There are enough western style restuarants that you can go out 7 evenings a week at a different restaurant and get good "western" style food. During you transition period from US living to the Philipines you can rely on the just recently added 7-11 in town. They may have those 7-11 hot dogs, as I saw a couple of their employee chasing some stray dogs around the streets. :wink: Actually seeing the glaring bright colors of 7-11 sign in the background of the historic Church tower tonight did not make me feel we were making progress here, but just becoming "modernized" which I do not consider to be progress in all cases. :meh:

Some Western style restaurants with Filipino dishes for your spouse: Coco Amigos on the boulevard, KRI accross from Silliman U, (great food with smaller portions for those days you are on a diet) ., KFC for fast food in the mall (with white rice or mashed potatoes freshly out of the box), Why Not (European, Western and Filipino) on the boulevard, Casa Blanca on the boulevard, Mike's Beach Resort in Dauin (great American Hamburger), Jerry's Beach side RestoBar (Great Pizza and other things) in San Miguel, and Takkries French Resto-Snack House at the 7 Km marker in Bacong (Run by a french man and his Filipina wife... great pasta...NO white rice). Oxmox in Valencia with a number of Western dishes. I am sure you will get other recommendations but that will get you through the first week... oh Yeah there is a new McDonald's in town too. Do not fear you will get your daily required "dosage" of western food here now.:wink:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :woot: In Dumaguete? Why was this not posted about!?

5. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Well, after landing in Manila, I am going to spend a couple of days up in AC, then a couple of days in Subic and then on to Bacolod to get my car ... then drive down to Duma.

I guess my wife and I will be staying in a hotel in the Duma area for a few days prior to finding something to rent for the long-term.

I have a Philippines Permanent Resident card, but it's been about 3 years since I last was in the PI, so I don't know what Immigrations at the airport in Manila is going to say about that upon my arrival?

I also only have a one-way ticket from the US to the PI, but if the airlines says anything about that prior to my departure, I am just going to show them my Philippines Permanent Resident card and tell them I don't need an 'onward' ticket.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    I sold my bike when my wife and I came to the US 4 years ago .... Now I wish I still had it

hindsight ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  7. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Wrye...actually there are 2 7-11 in Dumaguete....

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. rbrown

rbrown DI Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 8
    There are 3 that I know of.....two in town and one across from Hypermart that is not yet open last time I went by there. Seem to be quite popular with the locals so far....

9. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    Nice ride man - "now that's a bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I guess, if slow and loud is your thing. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1