Dumaguete Info Search

Investing in Sugar Cane industry

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by Ozguy17, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ozguy17

Ozguy17 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +44 / -0
    G’day all.
    Just wanting to know if anyone on here has invested in Sugar Cane and whether it has worked out well or not so well?

Looking at investing in a 5-7 acre lot for this purpose and just wanted to see if anyone else has had any success with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,525 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I know a local Filipina who has Sugar Cane on a LOT land, others plant, farm and harvest it, and she has wads of cash come pay day when she gets her share, she does quiet well, so long as you adopt the same mentality of a local, in that you will have extra income, and will not become a millionaire anytime soon, you should do fine I would think... She also does the same with Coconuts and has her own Dryer, so gains a higher price come harvest time selling the dried Copra versus wet coconut flesh.

I think it all comes down to; "Don't place all your eggs in the one basket" Diversify. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,347 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The wife uses some family land as well as rents some other land for sugar cane. She makes some money off of it, not a ton but it gives her something to do.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
  4. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +75 / -0
    Note, all are Filipinos....if Johnny Foreigner gets involved directly for sure you'll lose your shirt!

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +407 / -0
    Blood Type:
    O-
    AFAIK are foreigners not allowed in agricultural activities. If the living partner is a pin@y, everything have to be run over them. When you want still to buy sugar cane lot try it in Tanjay or Pamplona.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Ozguy17

Ozguy17 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +44 / -0
    Yes you’re wife has to be the official legal owner of the land you buy. This I have absolutely no issue with. Also area of ownership is no issue for me, the only thing i care about is which mill is paying the most per kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,525 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This may help you;

DIRECTORY OF SUGAR MILLS - Negros Oriental:

Alangilanan, Manjuyod
    Negros Oriental
    Tel/Fax No. (035)402-4081
    Universal Robina Corp. URSUMCO

Bais Central, Bais City
    Negros Oriental
    Tel./FAX No. (035) 541-5120
    Central Azucarera de Bais Inc.

Sicopong, Sta. Catalina
    Negros Oriental
    Tel. No. (035) 531-0411
    Fax No. (035) 531-1456
    Hermino Teves & Co. Inc.

https://www.sra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/list-of-sugar-mills.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +94 / -0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hi...

There is a new Directory of Sugar Mills CY2017-2018.

Tolong Sugar Milling Co., Inc. in Santa Catalina town, formerly owned by Herminio Teves & Co., Inc. was sold in 2015 to the Gokongweis so that you will now see it listed as Universal Robina Corp.- Tolong with Tel/Fax No, (035) 531-0028

Sometime December 2017, a new sugar mill - HDJ Bayawan Agri-venture Corp. (HBAC) owned by Herminio Teves's grandchildren - commenced operations in Barangay Bugay, Bayawan City but it is not yet listed in the Directory.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  9. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +94 / -0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A study published in 2014 evaluated the productivity and profitability of sugarcane farming by farm size and by the number of ratoon crops. It concluded that sugarcane farming is productive and profitable only for medium and large sized farms with areas ranging from 10.01 hectares and above. This means that small sugarcane farming is not profitable. So I'm surprised at these small farmers who merely lease land long-term at P6500/year. Over the yars, they have been able to construct their own house one room at a time, send kids to college, purchase a second hand family vehicle or put together their ow hauling truck and, in later life, invest in a condominium unit at pre-selling purchase price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1