Dumaguete Info Search

Is dumaguete still safe to stay?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by rusty, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusty

rusty One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband and I plan to retire in Dumaguete. It is the place where I grew up, I was educated there and I like the slow pace of life. The school system is excellent too.

There are major considerations we really need to pay attention to though: Safety and Security. I heard of so many negative news about the city. Fifteen years ago, anyone who is in the streets past midnight is still safe. Right now I don't think it is the same. And the numerous robbery and shootings... it scares me to even think of living there again.

And the lot prices are OVER THE TOP!!!

My gosh, I looked at this subdivision lot prices in Dumaguete, they are exact the same price with the residential lots here in the US. What a shame. And sad to say Dumaguete does not even provide equal job opportunities and safety.

I really like to retire in Dumaguete, they say there's no place like home. I hope there will be something to be done about these concerns.

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Come back, register to vote, become active and the changes for the better can begin. Dumaguete will be what you want it to be but only with work and participation.

3. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. neo

neo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi :smile: So your saying a politician has any say whatsoever in the price a foreghner or local charges for a house or lot for sale or rent? Nope! The greedy and ignorant individual is resposible for pushing up property costs and the overall costs passed on to the consumer. So the low cost retirement paradise that is wanted is being destroyed by the very same people who want it chap to begin with! lol :wink: Basically i'm blaming you people lol :wink:

5. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    According to legend - the crime rate has much improved in Davao....virtually everywhere else it has gone downhill. Corruption, drugs, lack of resources, incompetence...same story around the world it seems..

Good point about the real estate prices...they are generally ridiculous. What concerns me more is the escalating food prices though....rapidly approaching first world levels...on third world incomes - and that situation can't last much longer. I wonder how the average Filipino can possibly afford a decent diet. As the world's LARGEST rice importer they are at the mercy of higher prices and increasingly reluctant exporters. Living on the edge....

6. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Safety is a relative question. Safe compared with where or when. There are a lot more people here than there were 20 years ago and it is probably not as safe now. The same is true almost everywhere. I grew up in Brooklyn and our house was never locked; I doubt if my folks could find the key. I wouldn't do that today.

Garbonzo has an excellent point about the price of food. I haven't done a close check but the same basket of groceries that I bought a year ago for 3500 now seems to be about 5000. If you are receiving a US dollar pension you will also find that the exchange rate isn't very good.

You can't go by real estate prices on the internet. If you come here and ask around I think you will find lot prices that are more reasonable.

I think that you and your husband should come here for an extended vacation, renew old acquaintances and make new ones. Travel around the city and do some food and real estate shopping. Cost and quality of medical care should be considered as well; medicare doesn't work here. Many of these issues have been discussed over and over on this forum and some time searching the archives will be well spent. If you are like most of us we can't afford to make a mistake when we retire.

I based my decision to retire here on time spent here in 1990. When I arrived last year the place had changed a lot but fortunately some of the changes are for the better.

Kenny

7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Food prices in the U.S. seem to do the same thing. At least the beer is always cheap here. :D

Real estate bubbles are good for the economy. Look at what they did for the U.S. economy.

If you think the exchange rate for dollar pensioners is bad, you should try the exchange rate for peso pensioners. :D What is a good exchange rate? It always gets crappy this time of year because of all the remittances being sent for the holidays.

8. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Changes for the better?

Yes some things are really changing. When I was first there the Bulevard was not yet blocked off to motor traffic near the seawall and there were hundreds of squaters near the pier. But it seems most of the changes are going to benefit the foreigners and tourist but I quess it is hoped that the standard of living for Dumaguetenoes will also be risen. Maybe in time that will happen. If you have noticed the rising price of rice imagine what it is like for the average family there. The good thing is you can still tell the Dumaguetenoes from the strangers by the warm smile on their faces, I hope they can keep it up, it is the still the biggest draw to their city.

9. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    To answer what is a good exchange rate. When I first came to PI in the 1970s the exchange rate was about 6 to 1. But that 6 pesos would buy a San Miguel in a top club in Manila. I watched it go from 7 to 8 to 1 and the top club beer price followed along. Up until a short while ago it had risen to over 50 to 1 and the peso had more buying power.

10. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    you said you grew up here and was educated here...BUT you are having second thoughts of coming back...THEN DON'T...real dumaguetenos and dumaguetenas never question the thought of coming back. ...hmm just a thought.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.