Dumaguete Info Search

Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Damaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by chappo, Feb 3, 2012.

1. chappo

chappo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've opened this thread so opinions and legalities of smoking can be discussed and as such stop other threads being ruined with side issues.
    Throw in your opinion , throw in your knowledge of the law ,,, this will be a good place for all to see the truth behind the most radical of non smokers , I call them the Nazist 's. The word Nazist is used here because it is not really the smoking that these people want to stop , it is other humans they wish to dictate to control and rule over.
    For the vast majority of non smokers it is sufficient for them to have non public buildings , non smoking restaurants , no smoking at their homes and other reasonable balanced controls but the true Nazist non smoker NEEDS , absolutely NEEDS to dictate to all smokers that they must stop because ,,, because ??? because HE SAYS they must ,, LOL. It's usually part of a larger mental issue that requires thorough diagnosis and treatment. These Nazist non smokers try and convince people that a Monk in the Himilaya's smoking a single cigarette will cause them instant Asthma , coronary heart desease and a brain tumour.:mad: They will YELL scream , stamp their feet , threaten , attack, and do anything so THEY can get their way and have control.
    I'm looking forward for showing others how truly sick some of thses dictators are.

2. xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    not a non smoker i smoked for 40 ye4ars..i did quit for good almost 4 years and 60 more pounds ago...it was the hardest thing i have ever done..i dont rag on people to not smoke i dont belittle anyone who smokes..i still go outside with the smokers , they seem to have the best tales to tell...so i guess i dont fit ineither catogory..so if you want to smoke around me its ok..i will only mention once that it does harm the body...i have copd from cigs...and i still would like to have a smoke ..but dont dare...i promised myself that i would never quit smoking again....thanks all for bearing with me ......

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    This should be enough reason. No need for laws or Nazist's.

4. guitarjohnjohn

guitarjohnjohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    first of all, there is no such thing as a harmless amount of smoke. unlike a glass of wine or a few beers etc...any smoke is harmful-- first or second hand. and as far as your pathetic attempt at analysis of the motivations of non-smokers...smoking is smelly , filthy and deadly poison. you can not escape the stench and filth of the stuff if it is being used(drug) in your vicinity. there is no such thing as a clean smoker, although some are more courteous than others. i have absolutely no inclination to assert my control over you- i just dont want to have to smell, breathe or have your stench contaminate me. think also of how much of a cleaner place the world will be without billions of cig butts in the streets etc. your aggressive defensiveness is really in bad form. if your addiction is really that profound, get a space suit,smoke in there -- problem solved and then 1 cig will last you all day

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I will always go outside if I am with non smokers or think of others when I smoke in a public place. For all the people who moan about smokers here in dumaguete just think about all the black smoke the trucks,buses,trykes,and jeeps belch out every day which is far more harmful the our ciggys! Everyone to their own,if you don't like it don't go there or move!

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... and NEVER drive any gasoline powered vehicle for fun, use a generator for brownout, having the car running until aircon is cold, or temperature is warm (if you are in a cold country), etc.. as long as you do, you have simply no right at all to say anything against smokers forcing someone to inhale smoke.

I am still undecided if "militant" non-smoker or disrespectful smoker are the bigger idiots, I think they go along pretty much on the same level.

I am many times at non smoking places and will stick to the rule, but if I am in a smokeing place and one of complaints about the smoke I am not shy to tell him briefly "piszz off"

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I feel pity for all of you who are addicted to this drug. I use to smoke and I am glad that I had the strength to stop. I lost one beautiful aunt who smoked to her last day in the hospital and another one who is living her old age with only one lung. Enjoy this harmful little habit if you must, but the rest of us know what it is doing to you. This is all I have to say.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Pedro, and that is fair enough, I am sure smokers also know what they are doing, as well many people know what their bad habit and or addiction will lead to.

Getting back to the original question,

yes, since July 14, 2011 it is prohibited to smoke in Dumaguete in public places, with the larger objective to make Dumaguete a smoke-free city...

based on republic act RA9211: http://www.sme.com.ph/downloads/pronouncements/RA9211.pdf

why does that sound to me somehow like the "helmet law"-evergreen...

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Because once again it is one group cramming their beliefs down the throat of everyone else?

Larry

10. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I don't care if people smoke or not. It's their own doings.

But, I do have a right to ask if a business is smoking or non-smoking so I know whether i want to join an event there or not.

I'm not telling others what to do. I'm asking a question so i know what I want to do....