Dumaguete Info Search

Is it really neccessary to.............

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by DiverTim, Mar 30, 2009.

1. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    have the windows of your property covered with metal grills and your nice new house made to look like a jail? I am concerned that I have totally missed something about "owning property" / retiring in Phillipines. I am considering seriously purchase of LOT south of Bacong Dauin area and just want a quiet life with my beautiful Filipina and child.
    Advice please, Thanks

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    In a word: yes!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I rented a house in Dauin without that grills for about 2 years. I had no problems at all. BUT I also think I was a lucky one.

A simple metal-frame around window connected to a electric-fence-transformer helps and does not destroy the view...

4. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The answer is YES & especially more so for a nice house.

5. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Especially if it is not inside of a guarded subdivision inside of an eight-twelve foot fence and has plenty of family living there.

6. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    wait 18 months it will be cheaper

7. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Grills for good reasons

Grills render your house safe from burglars, for as long as your pick--able items are far enough from your grilled windows. If you travel out a lot and your next reliable neighbor is quite a distance away, grills are good to have. Grills can be decorative at the same time that they keep your house safe. They really are not 100% burglar proof since these days, robbers are well equipped but at least grills can delay any of those undesirables. If you heard about that incident in Manila in which a heavily grilled house trapped some people inside during a fire--well, it would be practical to have one or two windows strategically located, maybe the closest to the fire escape, to have a hinged portion enough to allow an adult person to exit. Such same size can accommodate children. Well, I should correct myself: perhaps the best measure would be the biggest person's size in the house. If one does not like the idea of grills, maybe a neighbors' watch coop/pool would be a good thing to have. IMHO.

8. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Grills

Why would I want to move to a country where I have to cower behind bars
    in my own home? Where I come from, the criminals are behind bars, not the
    citizens. I don't have bars on the windows, nor do I have a 10 foot wall or a
    security guard. Live with common sense, not fear.

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ...common sense in connection with the Philippines is the undisputed number one on the oxymoron lists worldwide

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Another poster who might as well stay at home. Either Pecos isn't listening or just enjoys spoutimg!