Dumaguete Info Search

Is that your ____?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by LoneWolf, Nov 25, 2013.

1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I am out and about with my son alone, locals ask me "Is that your son?". It happens every couple of weeks and it is kind of annoying, but I try to lighten it up with "No, I am the Yoyo", then laugh.

I am 48, so it is not unimaginable that he could be my son considering how many guys here in their 60's and even 70's are making babies. Older men with young children is not exactly unheard of here

I was wondering if other guys hear this strange question and how do you handle it?

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I get that too. I have formulated some smart comments, but have not used any yet such as:

1) No. I found him wandering around and decided to keep him.

2) The hospital says he is, but we are not so sure as the DNA test has not come back yet.

3) Yes, he is until we find his true parents.

4) No, he is on loan from the local orphanage.

5) No, he is one of the neighbor kids who won't quit following me around.

6) No, would you like to keep him?

7) No, we found him stuffed into one of our balikbayan boxes and thought we would keep him.

8) We don't know for sure. We found him under our Christmas tree a few years back.

9) No, the dog found him in the neighborhood and no one else will claim him.

10) As of now yes, but when he really starts to get expensive we are hoping that the real parents will come get him.

11) Yes, you don't notice the resemblance?

12) He says he is, but after my bout with Alzheimers I'm not so sure.

13) His mom seems to think so.

14) We don't think so. A bright light dropped him in our front yard. He has a birth mark that looks like the solar system on his back.

15) No, he is on loan from the library and is due to be returned any day now.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    In my case its, is that your daughter? I say yes and I have a shot gun and 2 shovels

4. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    In the eighties I used to take the young son of a friend for short rides on my motorbike (in front of me, not much traffic)
    On the market they sometimes asked me "is this your son". The little boy was always very happy and proud on my answer
    " no he is not, he is my best friend"

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Stopping the questions

I had the discomfort of noisy people asking about my young step son many years ago. They would ask whether he was my son, I was his uncle and finally out of frustration they would try " are you his grandfather?" . After a period of time I did come up with an answer which would make them turn in disbelief and stop asking questions:

" No, he is not my son, I just sleep with his mother." (Although a true answer, my wife never really endorsed this answer for some reason O-|). This immediately stopped any further questions. :smile:

6. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    I seems like this question brothers some of you ?? It would not brother me as people here are friendly and a question like that seems to be warmhearted and a way for conversation...Whats wrong with that ???

7. OP
    OP
    LoneWolf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My half brother was born when my father was 63 then the mother ran off back to Mexico. When my father would be toting this 5 year old boy around with him in town, people would ask "Hey Chuck, is that your grandson?". He would reply "Hell no, if he was my grandson he would go home every once in awhile."

8. march

march DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ten Twenty Lenny is right. The filipino who's asking this question is 90% sure that he's your son. The filipino is just trying to start a conversation, sort of acknowldeging your presence and your child's presence.

9. OP
    OP
    LoneWolf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is a generalization. There is a certain element of Filipinos that are uppity social climbers that use a question such as this as a "sideways comment". I am sure you are familiar with the term.

10. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't see any reason why anyone would need to explain themselves to anyone asking the question. If you want to answer, then answer; if not, then don't.

Also, if you are married and the child is from a previous marriage of your wife, then the child is your son/daughter (albeit "step"). To deny that relationship in public might be quite harmful to the child's feelings depending on how that child feels about you.