Dumaguete Info Search

Jeepney in usa

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tunji oluwajuyemi, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    I saw my first jeepney here in hawaii yesterday and I stared at the driver and he looked very much like a filipino man.from the front it looked like a regular american jeep wrangler except it was lowered and the metal was striped of paint and bare shine of clean metal,,It was the side profile that was so filipino,it was no windows and stretched chasis,lowered and after market replacements all around but they were more like home style machine shop workmanship and so very much like the ones all over philippines.Did he import it or "do it up"over here out of nostalgia.It made me feel more connected to the filipines from so far away...

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Picture or it didn't happen. :D

3. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

hehehehe:D

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Oh! Oh!

:D This is going to be good KDF!:rolleyes:

Jack P.:smile:

5. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    AH sorry guys I dont have a camera I spent that money for my son to have a camera phone with internet access and he lives in NEW YORK,(i dont like new york or his mom)..I was driving any way and they passed a law in hawaii and many other states banning use of handheld devices for distracted driving..Oh the news paper reads today that the accident rate due to distracted driving from devices in hand use,has gone up because people are now trying to hide them in thier laps forcing them to look down rather than hold it up and at least have peripheral vision...:eek:

6. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    I no longer offer pictures on this site cause last time I offered pictures the whole thread got shut down for national security reasons and I never terrorized anyone before...Sorry:wink:

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Maybe you are at least 50% correct in what you saw. Filipinos make up 23% of the Hawaiian population; jeepneys make up 0% of the vehicle population.

8. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Its a new day in hawaii and that day was the day before yesterday when i saw a jeepney in hawaii (mini size).Before then I too believed in the 0% theory

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Tungi, I am just teasing you. I would think that with all the US military bases in Hawaii for so many years there would be a high number of old surplus military jeeps that an ingenious person would convert to a jeepney. Maybe an interesting business for someone.

10. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    aahh yes sir you are so right...The tiki mobiles(station wagon converted with nipa hut style roof) have been a classic here with surfers for a long while

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.