Dumaguete Info Search

Just curious

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by sandersonph, Jun 20, 2018.

1. sandersonph

sandersonph DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hopefully a Moderator or Op can turn this into an interactive Poll. But I was curious as to everyones opinions about if money wasn't an issue. Where they would spend it in finding a new place to live, keeping in mind foreigners can't own land, any land taxes/upkeep maintenance, any future disagreements with wife (best to have title in your name), interior design, simple upkeep. I like the idea of simply purchasing a condo unit and having it pretty much turn-key but the price points here in dumaguete especially in Marina Spatial Seem pretty high. Just curious what others thought..

Again, Perhaps we can vote on where we may put like $50K USD

A) New construction?
    B) Pre-existing Home
    C) Marina Spatial Dumaguete new Condo Unit Project
    D) Simply Rent
    E) Any other Suggestions People can think of

also where or what type of business would people invest in?

Trying to get a feel for peoples opinions on various markets here.

2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    D, unless you know you're in it for the long haul. Invest the $50K in the stock market on securities suitable to your risk tolerance and spend a year renting, then reevaluate your situation. Of course, if money is not an issue, waste not, why not. :smile: For 50k, I'll venture to guess that you don't fall in that group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    An amount of 50k US$ is not that big money. So if you can afford to loose it just put it into option A,B or C.
    However if you cannot afford to loose it, just keep it in a safe account in your home country and choose for option D if you wanna stay here.

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I am very risk averse in financial matters. I prefer renting as it gives me flexibility to move whenever I wish at short notice (if, for example, but hopefully not, there was a local disaster and the infrastructure took years to repair) even though you will see later I include property ownership as an investment idea. I dislike the stock market because it is a gamble - and, unless you invest in managed funds, you are at a serious disadvantage against people who use sophisticated computer systems and, sometimes, advanced knowledge (by the time you know something the party is over). The rises seen in many stock markets are often due to a small number of shares and we the general public usually do not own them.

Cryptocurrencies are the latest fad but then so were tulip bulbs. And at least if you water them tulip bulbs grow into something.

The biggest threat to wealth, however invested, is inflation. So put $50K into a bank and serious inflation (e.g. Zimbabwe/Venezuela) would see it buy one halo-halo eventually. I think in that case, property and gold (and/or other commodities) might be the best long-term bet as they can both recover value in time. But you have to look at the quality of the gold you buy as there are scammers out there and buy property at, or preferably BELOW, market value of the right quality, type and location. My hesitation with property is that it can be illiquid (difficult to sell again quickly) and affected by events such as natural disasters and political events (such as expelling foreigners en masse).

As for businesses to invest in, that is a very difficult one - depends on skills and luck. In my previous business career I saw easy-to-run, extremely low-risk businesses that others were running and copied them. In my first business I repaid my total investment from the profits of the first day. If my business had sunk, I could have walked away with no loss whatsoever. That was the skill of spotting an opportunity but the luck of being in the right place at the right time to see it and exploit it.

I know of a new company set up here in the Philippines by three ex-pats who are selling turn-key (or almost, I think) internet-based businesses but I can only give that information here if Mr Wyre first approves. And it would come with the warning to do your own research on it.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    If money wasn't an issue I'd likely be someplace else. Philippines just gets to dull and drab for me after so many years. Not much for options considering circumstances with age, money, and current relationship though and even if was just age and money still not much for options.

If I *had* to do something here though even considering risk with the lady and do longterm rental with option to sublease contracts and buy land in suitable areas for apartments and a nice house built to my own standards up in Valencia likely with solar, a deep well, and making sure I can get a solid fiber connection.

• Like Like x 4