Dumaguete Info Search

Just got up from another dive on the house reef

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I had some problems with headaches after dives, so on our last trip in to Manila I bought a reshapaple(is that a word?) mouth piece.

You put it in 70 degree hot water for 30 seconds and then bite down on the mouthpiece. After 30 seconds the mouthpiecde is perfectly shaped after your mouth and teeth.

Best d*mn 20 bucks I ever spent :smile:

No more headaches :smile:

Attached Files:

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    A Rubber Hammer seems to give the same result and even quicker..:D However when you wake up after some time the pain is twice as big !

O well , back to the old drawing board...

What is the effect on people with a full mouth prothese ??:confused:

3. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    that's cool

I get similar type of headache every now and then after dives....Never knew such stuff exists...A very good tip indeed. If I can find one at my local dive shop, I'd sure like to give it a try on my next dive.

BTW...I'm not talking about the rubber hammer....Earl.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    diving headache

These ‘bite-made’ mouthpieces are originally from the company "Jax". Here in the phillis they are available in many dive-Shops. If you are in Cebu you get them (or good Copies) at aquaventure-whitetip or Asia divers.
    I saw some in Duma also, I will update later.
    They are very comfortable, but I am sure that headache after a dive has other reasons. A 'normal' mouthpiece can cause many troubles specially jaw-pain. If your jaw hurts you get into a wrong breathing rhythm and this is cause occasionally headache. Some more reason for headache are:
    Bad Air (even you don't smell it) could happen here when you get the last few liters in your tank while the neighbor is burning rubbish and the compressor man is a bit late to switch it off. The compressor filter does not filter wired gases, only liquids. Bad air also comes from poor maintained scuba tanks.
    skip breathing famous for people who wanna 'safe' some air, cause they need a lot. They are inhaling a lot of already 'used' air with a way higher CO2 level again. Breathing deep does not mean to fill the lungs completely, it means get the air down to the lower part of your lungs (the alveoli). There is where the gas exchange happens. Divers can train that outside the water.
    Breathholding I know we divers don't do that, but look at people taking pictures under water. Each one is holding breath to a certain level to keep the buoyancy for that shot and concentrate on the camera display.
    going deep can cause headache, especially when you have to swim a bit against water movement.
    strenuous UW activities waiting for other divers in a drift.
    dehydration is one of the most common headache reasons, especially when the body is not so streamlined, the diver is a smoker and drinks smometimes a glas too much (yes I talk about me...:( )

This are some reasons and we can make this list endless. Also combinations of factors.
    Dane, great that it worked out for you with that mouthpiece. If you don't mind some personal experience (I had the same some years ago) I liked it a lot, but after a while (and it lasted 100+ dives)I found for myself that it makes the Regulator-position in the mouth inflexible. As I bought a new regulator at that time it was equipped with a so called 'comfo-bite' mouthpiece (pic on the right) You don't have to bite on it at all and it keeps the position flexible.
    Since quite a while, 3 years or so, I have a very special "Rhoody" made mouthpiece and I love it.(pic on the left) I only hold it with the lips and my Mahal says it's a fantastic kissing training... hehe... and it slides on the lips wherever you look at, keeps the head position highly flexible.
    If you don't believe that, just drop by and have a look at my Reg....

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.