Dumaguete Info Search

Just when..........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Apr 23, 2022.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Just when you think things can't get any worse in Europe and it's borders.
    Opened up Yahoo's news page today to this.....
    https://uk.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-france-germany-evaded-arms-184523493.html

It would appear that since Russia took possession of Crimea in 2014 certain countries including Britain, have used a loophole to supply weapons to Russia, despite an embargo on such practice.
    While Europe continues to pay a Billion Euros a day for energy supplies from Russia, the too little too late, supply of defensive military equipment slowly drip feeding into Ukraine will never be enough against the might of a Russian Invasion intent on dividing up not only Ukraine but possibly taking Moldova also.
    As a UK citizen who has never experienced war first hand, watching the bravery of the Ukrainian People, who have refused to surrender to the total aggression of Putin's War in their Country, makes me ashamed to be British and that Europe has not only been slow to react to the plight of Ukraine, but to think that they have filled the coffers of Russia while secretly supplying arms too.
    I have never known of such blatant coruption in this world as there is at present, when one looks at what is happening not just on Europe's doorstep but all over the world in the present day, it makes me glad I am the age I am.
    Call me naive if you wish, but I have lived through better days thank God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm not sure what to expect anymore in terms of the outcome of the Ukraine war.
    There are still multiple possible outcomes.
    1. Putin might still be shoved aside by his inner circle as the war doesn't progress as planned and tens of thousands of soldiers lose their lives while the Russian public suffers under sanctions induced economic hardship.
    2. Russia may still realize the majority of its goals be it at a much higher cost than anticipated.
    3. Ukraine may still win the war (if the West continues and increases its weapon supplies) as the morale of Russian troops collapses.
    In all three outcomes though, one wonders: and then what?
    1. If Putin gets replaced will his replacement be any better? (not very likely).
    2. If Russia wins will Zelenskiy's words turn out prophetic and we need to start wondering who's next on Russia's list?
    3. If Ukraine manages to push back Russia to pretty much the situation at the start of the current war, will they stop there (I would think not, if Russia loses out Ukraine will aim to get back Crimea and the two separatist regions in the east around Lugansk and Donetsk also), and what will the reaction in the Kremlin be to such a development?
    Beyond the war there's the issue of rebuilding Ukraine (which is gonna cost a large multiple of what's being spent on arms now),
    the issue of integrating Ukraine and Moldova in the EU with all the headaches of a future direct relationship/border with Russia, the issue of a much weakened Russia in the aftermath of the war (it'll be weakened whether it wins or loses, with a struggling economy for years to come, but still possess nuclear arms).
    And then there's the risk that's on everyone's mind but hardly talked about, which is that a desperate Kremlin might resort to using their nuclear arms at some point if they are driven into a "military defeat" corner and can see no other way out. Those thinking those nukes may be "tactical" only and used in Ukraine only, may then very well get an incredibly cold shower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scoobersdude

Scoobersdude DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The prevailing winds in Ukraine are primarily West to East. It would be dumb for Russia to use nukes there...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    But how would using nukes do them any good in such a desperate situation? It's not like they just need to nuke Kiev and everybody be like "OK OK we give up you win". By then even Germany would stop buying russian gas immediately (one can still hope...). Not to mention it would turn Russia into a paria state for generations to come. And there's always the possibility that NATO starts to think "if we let Russia throw around nukes in Europe unanswered, what are we actually good for?".

5. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    I've already asked myself that question, when Putin began his "Peacekeeping Mission" on the 24th of February, threatening consequences if any country interferred!

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Probably why he's not used chemical warfare.

• Agree Agree x 1