Dumaguete Info Search

Lanzones Trees

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by PatO, Dec 4, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Has anyone planted lanzones trees and grew fruit? I bought two from Gloria farm 3+ years ago and the trees have grown nicely but no fruit.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Pat, I am No Gardner but was told this year that as one of my Mango trees is coming up for 4 years old ( the other 3) they will fruit well this next time around. I guess maybe that those in the know can tell you more. All I know is that Fruit tress do have a period of growing into maturity before they will bear fruit and even then, it may be a small crop to begin with.
    Proof of this pudding is that we are ready to harvest our first Trees fruit that looks Pretty good so far. The other tree is 1 year Younger so lets see.

No doubt you will get some more answers to this but this is just my little take on Fruit trees.

JP:smile:

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I think lanzones trees prefer cooler temps to produce large crops, and our soil is very sandy down this way pat with not much in it. The school which our kid goes to has a couple of trees and they are around 5 yrs old. I noticed they had a few fruits this year. Try feeding them a bit as May help.

4. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    It depends what type or breed of lansones you got; i have a native one back home-it took 10 years to bear fruit, i bought LongKong Lansones(my personal favourite) propagated by Inarching (highbred from Gloria Farm-fruits cost 250-400/kilo) and i was told it takes 5 years to fruit...

My LongKong- i only have 2 trees seems to be unhappy since i move her twice!! and soil is a bit poor..I was told that it grows better in between Rambutan or other fruit trees as it needs shaded area. I just put cowspoo/sh*t yesterday i hope it will work.

My Tuod Mango 4 meters high 4years old bears fruit 8 pcs. last year..no fertiliser same poor soil on sunny and windy ground but we put cowspoo on it.

• Informative Informative x 2