Dumaguete Info Search

Learning the language

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PoolBum, Jul 26, 2008.

1. PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello everyone,
    Been a while since I logged on to the Forum. I came here for a specific reason but got side-tracked by all the great info. Nice job everyone, you have all made this such a valuable resource for us folks living in Dumaguete (and those considering it).

Anyway, on to my question:confused:: I have decided that I want to apply myself to learning to speak Visayan. So, here's my question: Is there a business/school that offers classes here in Dumaguete or does anyone know of a qualified teacher for private lessons? I say "qualified" because I think I'm a slow learner when it comes to languages, I figure someone with some experience in language instruction would be my best chance. If it makes any dif, American English is my native language and I speak un poco Spanish, can count to 8 in Mandarin and I can get by in Latin (pig-Latin that is, lol).:D Oh, btw, if there is a private instructor around and someone wants to do it with me that would be great and maybe save us both/all some money in the process.

2. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
  3. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    still looking

Thanks for checking with Rosetta. I already have the Tagalog from them. It's pretty good but I got confused:confused:(not so hard to confuse me, lol) trying to learn Tagalog and Visayan at the same time so I have suspended my Tagalog temporarily. They both sound a bit like Klingon to me, lol. You are correct that Rosetta doesn't yet have Vasayan and unless its already in the works, I suspect a release would be quite a ways off. I did receive a private message from a guy (not specifically a language instructor but with a degree in Education from Silliman) offering tutoring, I replied with my cell # (as requested) but it has been several days without hearing back. Another fellow I know (a Canadian) who has lived here several years offered to get me started but I'm not sure about learning from a non-native speaker. I'm considering his offer. Maybe it would be ideal, I'm just not sure. I'd be bummed if I unknowingly learned a bunch of pidgeon Visayan and of course I'm not qualified to judge the subtleties (or grossities, lol) of grammar and the like. Anyway, I appreciate that you took the time to look into this for me. Let me know if Rosetta replies. It'd be great if they were about to release a Vasayan version.
    David

4. gentle

gentle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi David,
    There will be a Visayan course later this year in Dumaguete, if the local teacher gets organised. The teacher is fluent in English. If you send me a PM I will inform you about the outcome. I think there are still seats available for the course. Last time it was held in Silliman, not sure this time.
    A crash course as well as one over 3 months has been discussed.

5. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Gentle,
    I will be arriving in Dumaguete next month. I would like to participate in the Visayan class if there is a seat available. I am embarrassed to admit that I can only speak a few words after living 15 years in Cebu. Thanks,
    Kenny

6. gentle

gentle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems there are more people wanting to learn the local language - thanks for the response! It is a beginners course, meant for expats understanding American English. By Visayan they mean Cebuano, not Ilongo just to be clear on that. PM your email address to receive updates about the courses.

gentle

7. kinhason

kinhason DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the Language

While in my new home at Negros, I have discovered that no one seems to know how to teach the language to a foreigner. I hired a elementary school teacher for private lessons. The reason that it is difficult to learn is in part based on the lack of knowledge of the GRAMMAR which is formal as any language I have ever attempted to learn.
    Please download "Cebuano Study Notes" by Tom Marking...its 250 pages, its free for non commercial uses. Also obtain the fat red Visaya-Cebuano-English Dictionary at National Book Store, also of use is Conversational English-Cebuano Made Easy by CS Canonigo.
    My teacher who as all folks here know their langauge, however not the grammar so its difficult for them to teach you unless you have a formal tool...the above helps! also the 1904 version of English-Bisaya Grammar also on the net....go to it.
    It's rewarding and fun...the people here are delighted that you are making the effort to learn their tongue. Sure, it is tuff at first, but remember that you will reap the rewards with this effort.
    I just hope that you aren't shy about it, "just Do It" as you have done in your life...after all you are here in the Philippines...how did you get there, you made an effort, an effort that maybe your friends and relatives back where you came from don't share your passion for a beautiful place which has its more than fair share of friendly, warm, intelligent, and lovely inhabitants.
    I just hope that the locals affirm their
    love of their own tongue which is always evolving by rediscovering their structured grammar so that the culture of the past is not lost.
    Maayong suerte(suerte comes from the Spanish)
    K

8. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Kinhason,
    Thanks for the info. As always, the forum came through for me. I even found a nice young man who has offered to tutor me and my neighbor. He seems enthusiastic and has a degree in education as a teacher from Silliman. He has specific ideas about an approach and if it works with me I suppose it will work with anyone, lol. I have numerous books (including the ones you site) but will check out the online materials you mentioned. I think the tutor will be really helpful with the books as supporting material at least until I get a solid foundation. I went book shopping yesterday. I figured I could start my reading with something for kids with the dual purpose of reading aloud to akong anok (he corrects my pronunciation:D). I went to the National Bookstore, Lee Plaza, Cangs and Mart-1. I was shocked to find that no one had a single Visaya children’s book. Not one! What’s up with that? English and Tagalog only. If I ever get proficient enough I might just write one myself! Seriously (I have one published book in the U.S.). Not too bad for a self-professed bum, lol.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I will definitely take your advice. Good luck to you as well.
    PoolBum

9. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had no problem speaking English to anyone. Just pick up the local sayings as you go. They appreciate that.

10. kinhason

kinhason DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Learning the Language

Pool Bum,
    I see you are determined to learn a language which might disappear as it is difficult to find even a children's book in "binisaya".
    You are making the steps right now to lay down the foundation to be one day fluent in a language which with each passing day loses the vocabulary because of the so-called "short cuts" which the folks who speak it are fond of utilizing.
    I find it not to my taste as verbal and written communication is being destroyed
    when one can't give a precise word to describe an emotion, a sight, a taste, the senses etc.
    Getting by is o.k. for some, however to be quite capable of discussing a full range of topics in both formal and informal settings has as its rewards for those
    who take up the challenge of learning it opening "doors" which might otherwise be difficult or impossible to open.
    One day you may be called on to address a group, and because of this commitment you are making will bring to you surprising and unexpected results.
    It's fun. It's a challenge, and very few foreigners have tried to really do.
    As stated before, you can always utilize English, the folks here don't resent you for not becoming fluent. However if you enjoy learning "binisaya" your experience living here will be in my opinion, enhanced.
    Maybe, one day a school for learning the "deep binisaya" a term you will hear sometimes because you will be learning the many words that only parents or grandparents utilize. The mountain people I have been told by educated locals speak better
    binisaya than the cityfolk. Well, you are throwing your hat into the ring!
    Maayong suerte!
    Oh, check out Binisaya.com too...not much action for now.
    K