Dumaguete Info Search

Legends or Myths

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Deadeye, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Deadeye

Deadeye DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Disabled vet
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    My wife as informed me of some strange creatures that live on the mountains there in the Philippines. Does anyone know anything about these myths or legends. I would like to here some of your experiences. I am from deep south Louisiana so I believe in most legends.. but some of the things I hear just sound to farfetched but as it is there belief I want to learn more about and am curious on what you folks may have seen or heard. Some of the things i have been told and researched are the same swamp legends we have grown up with. Hoping some of yall will share some stories or experiences with me Thanks

2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Apart from the "witches of Siquijor" there are no stories that come to mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The stories are myths primarily meant to scare kids (and apparently some adults) to stop them from doing stupid things like running around the jungle at night and getting lost or approaching strangers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    My wife's family seem to believe in this one:

Manananggal

The manananggal is a vampire-like creature that supposedly wreaks havoc among provincial towns. The manananggal is said to be capable of severing its upper torso from its lower torso, after which the upper torso sprouts leathery wings and flies off into the night to hunt and eat its prey: humans. According to legend, one way to defeat a manananggal is to find its lower half and rub salt or crushed garlic on where it has split itself in half, making union between the two parts impossible, thus killing it

Manananggal - try saying it! Much easier after 10 San Mig's and half a bottle of Jose Cuervo Gold

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you find something that looks like the lower half of a human you should stay away from it and call the police...and definitely refrain from rubbing salt or garlic on it to preserve the crime scene as something horrific has almost certainly happened. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Deadeye

Deadeye DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Disabled vet
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    This is the one she talks a lot about. There's another that is suppose to take young kids of babies if there pretty some sort of witch that curses kids.. this Mananangal reminds me of the Rougarou from Louisiana

7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    My wife has mentioned something called a wok-wok in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    That's what one of my kids called helicopters. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    My wife is telling me about the Kapre, a Centorian (upper body of a man, lower half horse). It hangs out on a big branch of a large tree, normally acacia or balette, smoking a cigar. They can be good or bad but their stories are used to make kids take their noon time naps because the Kapre stalk during the day.
    To keep them away the kids need their shirts insideout.
    Sounds like a story I would tell my little brother lol.

Another is the Santilmo, a sprit of a dancing fire flame over feilds at night. This story was used to keep kids from sneaking out at night.

In general the balete tree is a home for spirits. Some people refuse to trim the branches for fear of disturbing the spirits, our construction crew was not thrilled about their bunk house being under yhe canopy of ours (but the shade is great)

And, for my brother from the bayou, they do practice voodoo here (called barang) Siquijor does't own it all, it is just the closest. Generally an old lady uses a voodoo doll with needles.

Another: When we were having our house built one of the guys got a cold and needed the bones of a young native chicken to burn so he could inhale the smoke as a cureative. It dudn't work.

Born Breach birth (feet first) the person will have a natural gift of touch (good at massages).

Albino's are a crossbreed of an Engkanto spirit and a woman.

Personal note, I have enjoyed listening to my wife tell me about these things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    'Wok Wok' - that sounds like the old Huey

• Winner Winner x 1