Dumaguete Info Search

Let sweep it under the carpet

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by babel-fish, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A very true story..................

I have lived in the Philippines for eight years now, when I first came here I found a nice little house partly nippa and partly modernized on a beach. My new girlfriend and live in lover had a very big family of whom loved to evade my little haven in paradise.

I found many things amusing such as I had a perfectly good toilet and everybody seemed to like urinating outside. I had a couple of dogs and one disappeared when I search for him one of my neighbors said that a group of people kill him and ate him.

Talking about dogs have you seen the ones that are full of scabs and no fur, being an animal lover this often seen site brings tears to my eyes. Cebu city is full of dogs like this.

One day my girlfriend’s sisters children came to stay, I chance to see one of them with his feet on both sides of the toilet bowl having a number two. Evidently this is not an abnormal event as with the urinating outside against a wall or tree.

Then one night at 12 O’clock I heard a knock on the door, a group of people, family and friends wanted to have a midnight dip in the sea. It was high tide and evidently my girl friend had said they could earlier in the day. She of course did not inform me. This of course is normal and the fact after wards 8 people slept in my very small spare bedroom with no aircon. Of course I could afford to pay for the food a drink and everybody had a great time. I soon learned that my place was a free resturant and how rich people thought I was. They could call in at any time of day. Of course I wized up, put my foot down and said no, of course everybody thought I was arrogant and how dare I. lol Such bad manners. Have you notice when your new here how many people turn up a lunch time. Lol

Later on about 3 years ago I was sitting on a beach in Liloan Cebu drinking a beer with two German friends. Suddenly there was a yelp and then a Filipino guy drag pass a dog and said anyone for dog soup. My German friends both looked very sick one heaved the other shouted well earned abuse at the Filipino. I smiled as I had seen it all before, yes many filipino’s eat dog.

One has to take care when eating goats meat as it could be dog, its much more tender and taste the same. How do I know, well I went to a wedding in Bogo Cebu and ate what I was first told was Goats meat. My impression was that it was very tender for goats meat, later I was told it was dog’s meat. Yes this poor old foreigner has eaten dog, yuk.

There will be Filipino’s that will want to sweep such things under the carpet, but you can’t hide the suffering of mans best friend and the fact that same animal is eaten by some as a delicacy. I have actually lost three dogs and I know that they have ended up on someone’s dinner table.

2. OP
    OP
    babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I some times ask Filipo friends if they have eaten dog, lol Of course the answer is no, mostly one guy was honest and said yes that of course was the guy on the beach in Jubay Liloan. lol

I bet that many have sometime in the life and thought it was goats meat. However its not much different to the native american they have a record of eating dog. I expect my own ancesters in the far past of time did as well.

What really amuses me is how many people eat pig and the bible tells us not to. Oh oh catholic buddies your sinning. So am I pork taste nice, lol

3. Coyotes

Coyotes DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    i have a cat that i brought home after finding it in distress on the street, that too was a little scabby at first, all it took was 2-3 washes in anti-bacterial soap. there's also a lovely looking dog that stays near my appartment, it has a broken leg, but seems to manage, also full of scabs, my GF won't let me bring it home, if i knew how much it would cost to get it to a vet, i would.

Does the Philippines have an RSPCA or type of Dog authority?
    i think if i took this dog to the Vet, he would be put down.

My cat is part of my little family now, and has picked up English very well lol

4. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Don't know if the City of Dumaguete has RSPCA. Never heard of it. Wish they have because there are so many strays running around and it's really a pity.

I'm so glad you picked up that poor cat and give him/her a good home. Me too, when I was in Dumaguete I ended up picking a couple of underweight cats. I took them to the vet to have them checked up on about everything. And now they are part of my sister's family. What a happy ending for the two stray kitties. So happy I picked them up!:smile:

5. OP
    OP
    babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No, but in Cebu city they have a dog cull sometimes. I am told the dogs are burnt and sometimes alive I am not sure thats true though.

There are many vets and the Philippines is becoming a more pet liking society however we can all see the problems just by walking around the cities. I used to carry a tin of blue spray thats used on pigs and cattle to stop skin infections. It works quiet well, but after one dog trying to bite me and very nearly succeding, I gave up the practise.

I have also paid vet fees for neighbors dogs to have their dogs vacinated for rabbies and mange. I have of course bought them a can of spray.

6. OP
    OP
    babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    cost me about 250 peso's or so to have dogs injected with anti mange

7. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    sometimes I wish they ate the/their dogs here, they crap all over the place :wink:

I advise ppl to carry some wormpills when around in places where there are a lot of street animals if they feel sorry for them, makes a small difference easy, they all are starving due to parasites/worms.

I do get a bit depressed about these stories though, maybe you could focus a bit more attention to the parts of the place you live that you like.

This place could do with a bit more info on the Dumaguete. Than I would have known that it is really not a good idea to go to Valencia by jeepny, to take a hubble hubble (what turned out to be an extended motercycle) to go to the waterfalls over the worst road I have encountered, with 2 kids.

8. OP
    OP
    babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Such questions can be asked on the forum and you will get sensible answers to any article you write about such things, with in hours or so

9. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Why is killing and eating a dog bad but killing and eating a goat good?

10. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Babel you have my Fur standing straight up

So Babel what are you trying to say about the Filipino’s? To me you make it sound like they are the only people that do it. Eating dog it is so very common in Asia. Though this is a terrible subject to contemplate for Westerners, dog-eating occurs in most of China, Vietnam, Laos, most of Africa, Korea and parts of India. And the Thai’s sell their dogs to Laos so they can eat them. So what’s your point? As far Catholics are concerned which I am one. They are not sinning because you refer to Jewish law. Not to the New Testament Law reference Mark 7:19 as far as Old Jewish Law reference Leviticus 11:7-8. Babel you pick and choose what you think is proper for people. But you choose to live with a woman and not be married. There has never been any custom or legal concept more important in maintaining a proper civilized society than the marriage covenant between a man and a woman. This has been recognized throughout history especially by those who adhere to the normal traditions associated with Christianity. In point of fact, it can be said without equivocation that the institution of marriage and the preservation of the family unit which results from the marriage union represent the essential principles that govern the very foundations of a proper society. So which values do you want the Filipino’s to adopt? ….Yours I find them highly questionable. I really hate to quote the Bible to people but I felt like you slapped both cheeks didn’t have one left. So I could not turn the other cheek. As a self proclaimed journalist get the facts before you write a another piece of rubbish like this.:mad: Get you facts before you write.

Leviticus 11:7-8
    And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.
    Mark 7:19
    Since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)
    1 Corinthians 7:2
    But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
    1 Corinthians 7:1-40
    Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...
    1 Corinthians 6:18
    Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.