Dumaguete Info Search

Liberty

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by eskirvin, May 12, 2020.

1. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hey All,

I just posted this on my Facebook wall and thought it would be appropriate here as well. It would be nice if this could be a place where people could disagree and not want to bash someone over there opinion. My post follows:

There's so much turmoil between people that want freedom and those that want to avoid death, at any cost. I believe many of these Americans, indeed, people all over the world, some are calling stupid, merely believe as Patrick Henry did when he stated on March 23, 1775:

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Some may call people stupid for wanting liberty, but isn't it worse to avoid living, for fear of dying? 100% of all people born, die.

How many of you sky dive, ride motorcycles, sunbathe, smoke, drink to excess, or a multitude of other activities some consider dangerous? Are we all supposed to consider a shopping trip to the mall in the same light as sky diving? Do our liberties need to expire as we age?

Desiring liberty is the very thing that gave birth to the United States of America and I can't consider anyone wanting liberty to be stupid. Hopefully your mind can change too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    The difference is that if you decide to drink, smoke, or go sky diving ... you are making a decision to take that risk for yourself. But if you ignore quarantine, face mask, and social distancing rules then you are creating a risk to me. Mitigation efforts are the only thing preventing the number of deaths from being 10 or 20 times greater than they are now. Cooperating with the rest of society to combat a pandemic by complying with mitigation efforts is no more giving up your freedom than is joining the military to fight for your country. Both are temporary voluntary surrender of some limited number of freedoms for the overall benefit of the whole of society. Calling participating in mitigation efforts to be chains and slavery and abandoning your liberty is really hyperbolic and overly dramatic nonsense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I had the best of all. I had liberty when I was in the Philippines while in the marines.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I like a lot of what you said, but what you leave out is very telling. If all they wanted was for people to wear masks and follow social distancing rules, I doubt many would have any issue at all.

For me, I'm complying with everything, not just because I'm being told to, but because this isn't my country. As a guest, I should follow whatever rules my host country comes up with, or I should depart.

If you don't go out of your house, how does what others do affect you, in the pandemic situation? Other than an increase in measures, further curtailing freedom, what have you experienced?

5. OP
    OP
    eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Man! I bet that was great...I was out of the East Coast when I was in the Navy, just touring Europe. I do have to say though, Greece was very nice at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    The best, better than all the rest! Fortunately, my job transferred me back here 13 yrs ago.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    So what did he leave out? Please be specific.

8. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Somebody has to go out of your house, either someone needs to go out and buy supplies, or you need to have them delivered. So without the mitigation efforts, you will have increased risk even if you yourself are staying at home because it is almost impossible to not have any human contact at all. I mostly thought that your post was talking about the situation in the US. Here in Dumaguete it does seem like we have thankfully dodged a bullet in that there are very few cases (if any right now). I do think that we should be able to loosen up a bit on the community measures as long as we maintain the travel bans and keep new people from coming onto the island for now. But as we saw, in the first few days of going from ECQ to GCQ people just showed a total lack of common sense and flooded into downtown.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The age groups, the alcohol ban, banning leisure activities...I mean, the list is pretty long. Anything you wanted to be specific about?

10. OP
    OP
    eskirvin

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You mean, like they normally would in a place free of COVID-19, happy to have defeated it? I guess that is...chilling? I'm sure you watch the numbers like many do. How long has it been since there was an active case here and what is the incubation period of the disease? I think it's been over a month and the gestation period is just 2 weeks or so. Do you just like there being less people?

• Agree Agree x 1