Dumaguete Info Search

Question Local Arts & Crafts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Andrew, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Similar to the guitar makers of Mactan, Cebu - are there any particular crafts specific to Negros? Artwork, designer shell jewellery, drawings, needlework, basket weaving etc?

2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Look in to the shop next to the travel agent and opposite "pasta King" restaurant. They have some nice art craft made by the owner.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 12
    Grateful for your reply. I wish to ingratiate with local crafts people - where exactly would Pasta King be? Please provide a street (for my GPS) so as a newbie I can find these places (Many assume knowledge of these places, but I remain unfamiliar). Thank you Mokum.

4. OP
    OP
    Andrew

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I only ask as I have a 'pet project' where I showcase local artistic/craft talent - thus knowing some of these creative minds would be [mutually] advantageous. I have friends in the E.U. operating showcase galleries and in addition to 'local profit' it could provide a great 'platform' for individuals (of talent/repute) to get their skills 'out there' etc etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I notice at the Buglasan (sp?) Fiesta there are always many local artists showing their crafts in the city. Perhaps the tourism office might be able to point you in the right direction since they seem to play a large part in the fiesta.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    There is a place in Bacong, behind City Hall that has some very ornate arte objects made of Shells. It is located at the south end of the City Hall (by the police station and where the firetruck is parked) cross the street on the ocean. Bacong is at about the 9 Km marker south on the national highway and City hall is on the highway. They are very friendly in the store and give tours as the drop of the hat of the people making the crafts in the rear of the building Actually the handcrafts were so refined that if I did not watch them grind stones and shells to make them I would have thought they came out of a Chinese type production factory.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    St Catalina str. corner Locsinstr. close to Matiao hardware & Tops &Bottom.& postoffice
    I know the shop Dave & Imp is mentioning they have nice furniture and shell inlay's.

8. OP
    OP
    Andrew

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Very interesting and thank you gentleman for these helpful pointers. I will go explore and update my findings on DI soonest.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1