Dumaguete Info Search

Local gestures? Local terms?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ronv8917, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And, I mean clean ones here.
    Rudy wants me to come see something, so she holds her hand out and motions as if I am supposed to sit down.....that means "come"
    We are riding our motor and since she knows the streets, I told her to reach over my shoulder and motion which way to turn. So she reaches over my shoulder and wiggled her hand like a fish swimming. What the hell does that mean....right or left?
    My solution for that was to have her keep her hands on my legs and tap on the right or left leg when I need to turn.
    And, of course, when we are going somewhere, her terms are "go go go stop"(at 20kph)
    But my favorite was when we were looking for a place to eat lunch, while riding up the coast. She turned around in the seat, pointed behind us and said "stop here" (just a little late sweetie).
    Ahhhh yes, the "learning curve"

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Ah yes, to be "specific" seems to be missing from the language completely. Takes guessing what is being asked or told to a new level.

3. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Have you noticed that when you ask where something is....she points with her lips? I am then supposed to go looking in that general direction for whatever I asked for.

It used to really bug me. Hay, a relationship with any woman can be a challenge but when you cross cultural lines you have to expect some of that. We have made a point to talk about things and try to ask each other when we do not understand.
    As a result I have learned a lot about her and her culture and she has learned a lot about us Americans too.

4. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Now that you mention it, yes, Rudy uses "lip-pointing" also.
    And your right about it being a 2-way thing.
    Several times I used the term "DUH!". Rudy asked what that meant. I told her it was Homer Simpsons favorite term. She then asked who Homer Simpson was. I ended up downloading "The Simpson's Movie" and letting her watch it.
    DUH!

5. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And to Pedro....."specific.....we don't need no stinkin' specific". You are so very right about that. Rudy just frustrated with me because she is not specific, and says "you know what I mean" (of course I don't). My reply is "no I don't, please be specific".
    For some reasons, generalized terms work here, but only if you are a local.

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Subliminal signal and its working.

You mean you did not think that was a signal kink of like our wink? I think that is definately what lures so many western men to their charms. Kind of like they are puckering up for a little peck on the lips, a promise of things to come. :p

7. Chris_Ana2007

Chris_Ana2007 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had a good laugh when I read your post about the lip pointing. Ana and I had some good discussions about the lip pointing thing when we were first together. It was quite frustrating to me at first especially when we were driving somewhere!!!!

8. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    When pointing with the lips it is important to put emphasis on the lower lip for downstairs location and emphasis on the upper lip for upstairs location. When the location is up and to the right you contort the lips to the right and emphasize the upper lip and vise a versa for the opposite. I once dated a deaf girl who said she could read my lips but this is a different language than she knew? For each way a path or idea splits, those now independant ways or ideas are subject to split again and the enresult of those are to split again as our cells do.BIFURCATIVE PROCESS GETS EVERY THING EVENTUALLY..

9. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    My biggest frustration was being on our motor, in the middle of downtown Cagayan De Oro, with no stop signs or traffic lights, and everybody just going every which way, and then having Rudy reach over my shoulder and say "turn" and wiggle her hand like a fish back and forth, and when I missed the turn, she would say "I told you to turn back there".
    Ahhhhh....... "I must have not heard you sweetie. My mistake".

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    I just tried your observation, talk about being tongue tied, I was lip tied !

There is just one Filipina habit that gets to me, that is when my wife never finishes a sentence and leaves me guessing what she is trying to say !
    still love her to bits though........JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.