Dumaguete Info Search

LPG tanks and propane

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by DeRail, Aug 14, 2014.

1. DeRail

DeRail DI Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 5
    I will be arriving in 8 days and i bought a tank-less LPG water heater for the place we are renting i have a question on the tank valve and attachment point what thread size is it and are they using the new style attachments ? if someone can post a pic that would be great or a link that way i can get any adapter i might need before i leave.

2. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Most the gas connections to bottles are done with flexible (not ideal) hose connections , I think maybe 3/8, I can't check for you cos I am back in oz now , but if you look at your direct fired unit they may have supplied one in the packaging , hopefully with a hose clamp and regulator

View attachment 11348

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    DeRail

DeRail DI Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 5
  4. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    The regulator end looks ok for connection to bottle , the hose length will have to change to suit your set up requirements , so you will need 2 brass fittings , except work out whether you need male (external thread) or female (internal thread) on your fittings to connect each end for the flexible hose , I had the local gas guy's come to my place in Tanjay and in the end told them to leave the bottle and f off , connected the p 30,000 cooktop myself in about 5 mins , without all the stories about how difficult it was going to be , the sort off stuff that you will soon get to experience also :wink:

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I have both a Gasul and a Petronis bottle. Both are different. The regulator pictured would connect to neither.

6. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6

Really Tony?... I find that interesting as I use copper 3/8. 1/2 in nipple end connectors in brewing..some wet..some CO2.. But honestly have yet to fall over any in the Philippines and have bought all from the USA and shipped them. To be honest Ive not gotten to all the hardware places in Dumaguete as yet but pretty much exhausted 3 other cities with not seeing a one !

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    No being mechanically minded, I have a Question?

Derail, If and when, you achieve what you intend, can I just ask. Is, the Regulator, you end up with, going to fit all, the bottles of gas, you may encounter? This is the one problem we find here, All the different suppliers use a different regulator on Their bottles, seems every time we change a supplier, the first thing they do is change, the regulator to one that fits their Bottle.

JP

8. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    There may be LPG bottles here that take the new type connection in your pic but I have not seen any. If that's what you have then I'd suggest try to find an adapter to go from your new style to the old style.
    You may want to ship over a nice portable gas BBQ and adapter hose to connect it to a large tank like the one shown in my pic.

View attachment 11349

Attached Files:

9. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    When we bought our cooktop in Cebu the fittings came in the packaging , but looking again at the regulator Larry maybe correct , because the black plastic shroud looks like is what is used for connecting to bottle , I just zoomed the pic on ebay , so sorry Derail . There does not appear to be an external thread on the brass connection , might be best just to get a local regulator with correct hose length when you arrive , then all you have to worry for is your connection to the device , which should be something like the pic I posted , depending on whether you need male or female , and just a suggestion when it is connected up and ready to go , use some soapy water around your fittings to make sure there are no leaks , I generally use thread tape on the connections also , and I am pretty sure it wont be a licensed plumber or gasfitter that does the connecting there , so better to be safe than sorry.

10. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Ed , I don't know about Dumaguete , but I could not find any gas fittings in Tanjay , and I have never seen a hard line connection there , I wanted to locate our bottle outside instead of under the kitchen sink , but I don't like the idea of running flexible externally unless the valve on the bottle is turned off after use , but it would probably still be better than having the bottle inside . We do gas connections very often here and I suppose because the ventilation in houses there is more than here it is a slightly different set up , but if you get it wrong you go to sleep and never wake up and it happens all the time here from dodgy internally installed bottles , and to be honest I would not be prepared to put my family at risk for the work of someone not qualified who earns $5 a day . If it was a water connection who cares , but gas is different , water leaks you get wet , gas leaks you get dead.

• Agree Agree x 1