Dumaguete Info Search

Make Room

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Bangr, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bangr

Bangr DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been to Dumaguete several times and may retire there in a dozen years. Right now I am trying to see if I can convince my brother (53 Yrs old) to go ahead and retire there.
    He got in a motorcycle accident about 7 years ago and can walk but has a paralyzed bladder. Which means he has to use a catheter. I have some questions and appreciate any help/guidance.
    He has no social life here, so going there he should get a few friends and some help (maybe a little help from my wife's relatives). Maybe we can pay a few relatives to take care of him.
    He has a social security Disability income and another disability income from a company. I think he will be okay financially.
    What about medical care? I know important stuff can be done in Cebu. A therapist maybe helpful in his care.

What about renting an apartment or house with A/C, internet and maybe Cable TV? How much? If we have people live with him might need a few rooms.

Since his back is bad getting around on a trike maybe bad. any other options?

My hope is he finds a nice/responsible/honest older lady who will take care of him. I would worry if he found a teenager or youngster to marry.

What about becoming a permanent resident? Possible?
    What about his Medicaid? Can he get care paid for by American Medicaid until Medicare takes over? Will medicare work there?

What about getting back and forth? Any of you folks found out to fly with bad back problems?

Sorry for the multitude of questions and thanks in advance.

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I think your brother needs to come here (preferably with you) to see if the place is right for him. Or maybe he has already been here.

Houses / apartments have a big range but on the low range you can find a furnished apartment for around 10K and unfurnished for around 6K. I'm in a two bedroom unfurnished house for 6K.

You could get a live in maid for relatively cheap, but you have to take the time to find someone you trust. You might be able to hook up a deal with certain apartment arrangements where you can get the services of the maids who work for the apartment complex. I lived in a place where I could hire the maids to do laundry and cleaning. I think this sort of arrangement would be best because I wouldn't want someone living with me and I hate doing house / grounds maintenance.

The trikes here are relatively big compared to many other places in the Philippines but you could probably hire a car / driver to take you around.

Not sure about your other questions.

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    "Right now I am trying to see if I can convince my brother (53 Yrs old) to go ahead and retire there."

Don't you like your brother? What does he want to do? A lot of your questions on Medicaid have been addressed quite recently, just do a search of the forum as not much has changed and there is not really a lot to expect. There is also a lot of disscussion on how to stay here permanently. If that is what you really want then you will have to read up, there is no easy one choice does it all solution.

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Most apartments have stairs, rarely elevator so most likely not fitted for someone with backproblems.
    A house might be a solution perhaps in the city because of roadworks outside of Dumaguete.
    Medicare or any other medical insurance is not exactly the strongest point in the Philippines, just check with Your native insurancecompagnie if it is ok to live in the Philippines.
    Flying nowadays is not exactly the best solution for somebody with backpain, besides of long hours in the air you still spend hours in the airport for securetycontrols over and over again.

5. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Maybe if you move here with your brother to oversee his care he might fare better, otherwise, it will be very tough to trust anyone to be responsible for his care, relatives or not.

His back condition is likely not going to improve, worst the muscles in his legs will continue to deteriorate as a result of the nerve damage he sustained. He would need a very close relationship and care from a physical therapist to delay the inevitable (wheelchair).

If he did decides to move here, make sure that there is no more planned or anticipated surgery he might need to relieve his back discomfort or stabilized his spine. You would need a single level house that is wheelchair accessible with ramps instead of steps, although like you said he can still walk, for now.

Medicaid and Medicare - it's garbage here you will be better off saving your money and paying cash.

"Social Life", again without you around to help him get started he may remain isolated in his house with nobody but his house help to talk too. There is no social agency in the Philippines that can do this for him. If he has the heart of a "biker", then I'm sure with a few buck to hire a driver and a car he might be able to initiate the socializing himself.

Catheters will make him prone to bladder infections. He would need a regular supply of new catheters and urine bags, that might be difficult to find here. Although in the Philippines he may just need a nice catheter clip and he can drain his bladder behind any bush or back alley :o. Is that something you can provide or send him on a regular basis? Will his doctor prescribe these catheters without seeing him first? He can get free medicine with his medicaid card in the US but here he has to pay for everything.

Citizenship - should not be hard. Look at the Phil Embassy Website for all the requirements.

Flying? - a nice dose of Valium to relax him may just be all the help he need. I hope you won't let him fly alone! Fly business class, a lot more expensive but it's worth it for the comfort and he can also lie down (recline lower than coach seats) to ease the pressure in his back.

I applaud what you're doing for your brother but there may be better support for him in the US for what he might need later, than here. Until maybe you're good and ready to retire here too. Good luck to you and your brother.

6. OP
    OP
    Bangr

Bangr DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. I now know it would be a good place for me to retire but not my brother. The catheters do cause infections and he does need to keep a good supply.

He does get around by bicycle right now and that should keep his legs working. If he was driven everywhere that may not be the case.

It might be best to see if we can find a nice little old lady here in town to take care of him. He has a fairly decent income but can not handle his finances. Like a biker he is outgoing but somewhat irresponsible.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.