Dumaguete Info Search

Manila Zoo

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by wretched_hyena, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Against my better judgment, I allowed myself to be dragged to the Manila Zoo. My opinion of the place is that the animals are too exposed to people in a way that allows taunting. The place is kept dirty. I noticed the area where, among other birds, the herons stayed, was covered with bird droppings, far more than one or two day's worth. The worst thing I saw, though, was the horse exhibit. There was no water, and when I reported that fact, it was obvious that nothing would be done. The horses were skinny and appeared emaciated. I plan to report that to someone. Anyone else have any experience with that?
    Richard

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I haven't been to the Manila Zoo ,and i don't expect much well cared for animals in there.In a country mired with poverty ,human sufferings and starvations, corruptions , with weak implementation of laws and ordinances,it would hardly have any proirity fucosed on welfare of animals ,apart from few odd pressure groups.The Philippines should never have a zoo. Because it can't take care of the animals better than they should .It would be ideal if there is an international regulatory board that would put sanctions and limitations on countries that have little respect for animals to put up the likes of a zoo.

3. OP
    OP
    wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    I wasn't expecting anything more than what I saw. That's why I was reluctant to go. I agree that countries like the Philippines don't have money for zoos. However, just because a population is poor, does that mean they should be deprived the opportunity to go see something like that? A lot of what that zoo needs would be answered with more employees. They need people to clean cages, keep water troughs full and watch people to make sure they don't taunt the animals. Labor is cheap in the Philippines. So more employees is a luxury they should be able to afford. I've been looking for an international group to contact about this. I think it may be that, if they comply with certain standards, there's an organization that helps with money. If so, either the Manila Zoo is not receiving any (most likely because they don't meet those standards) or they are receiving money, and that organization needs to be made aware of the deplorable conditions there.

4. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    If you want to see a more humble zoo, go to Father Tropas zoo in Zamboanguita, right here in Negros. Two headed stuffed carabow, human fetus with four arms in a jar, A crocadile the size of a small car which they feed live dogs in front of visitors. Just a few of the highlights.

I have an article on my blog about it.

5. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    One would think it is in the interests of Manila Zoo to have its animals in healthy condition to attract more visitors, but I suppose it is just another business that uses animals as disposable items in its quest to make money.

There are organisations in SE Asia and specifically in the Philippines that can help.

That fantastic group PETA (People of the Ethical Treatment of Animals) http://www.petaasiapacific.com/ have offices in Makati +63-2-817-5292.

They are actively campaigning to abolish zoos throughout the world and in the Philippines. I’d suggest contacting them to discuss what you can do. Other than that they recommend you “never patronise zoos. The money spent on ticket purchases pays for animals to be imprisoned and traded, not rescued and rehabilitated”.

Here’s a news article from the Philippine Sun Star about PETA’s campaign against zoos in the Philippines:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ma...t.pro.animal.welfare.ad.campaign.v..zoos.html

Actor goes naked in latest pro-animal welfare ad campaign v. zoos

NUDE and confined inside a zebra-striped box, super-hot actor Diether Ocampo poses for an ad against zoos entitled, "Confined, Sad and Lonely. Don't Go to the Zoo" for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia-Pacific.

Despite his packed schedule, Star Awards Best Drama Actor Ocampo made time to shoot the ad out of his concern for animals.

Currently shooting "Rounin", touted to be the country's first animeserye, for ABS-CBN, Ocampo is also promoting his band's new album, "Rock Manila." A long-time animal lover, Ocampo is also a dedicated guardian to his six dogs and five cats.

The ad would be shot by photo ace David Fabros. Painter and graphic artist Danvic Briones heads set design. Tattoo pro Gene Testa is providing body art and Tina Chan will do the makeup.

And here’s what PETA has to say about zoos and why they should be banned:

“Zoos claim to educate people and preserve species, but they usually fall short on both counts. Animals' normal behaviour is seldom discussed, much less observed, because their natural needs are rarely met. Even the largest of zoo enclosures cannot compare to the vastness of an animal's natural habitat, and the signs on these enclosures provide little more information than an animal's species, diet, and natural range. The only thing zoos teach people is that it is acceptable to control every aspect of an animal's life.

Zoos present us with a distorted view of wildlife—we're better off watching nature documentaries, reading about animals in books or on Web sites, or travelling to animals' natural habitats. In addition, zoos often push animals over the brink of sanity. Animals in zoos despair so much over their lack of space, privacy, physical exercise, and mental stimulation that they often resort to self-mutilation and other abnormal and self-destructive behaviours, displaying a mental condition that experts call "zoochosis."

As for conservation, most animals kept in zoos are neither endangered nor being prepared for release into the wild. Species that are endangered rarely benefit from zoos' breeding programs, because the babies often die in captivity. Ultimately, we will only save endangered species by preserving their habitat and combating the reasons why they are killed by people in the first place”.

(More on http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=67 )

There are other groups animal welfare groups in the Philippines:

http://www.pitstopit.com/paws3/history.htm (Philippine Animal Welfare Society PAWS)

Compassion and Responsibility for Animals (Cara) Philippines http://www.caraphil.org/index.html

Animal Welfare Coalition (AWC) http://www.animalwelfare.com.ph/

Wretched Hyena – many people complain to friends and colleagues about issues that they observe and don’t agree with, but very few people take action. It’s this apathetic irresponsibility that allows animal abuse to continue.

If you are willing to contact PETA that would be fantastic. :o

I’ll help you in anyway I can. Just let me know.

6. ronin

ronin DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    RHB, checked out ur blog...i like it. good reading and very informative. i'll add it to my watch list and follow along.

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We were at Father Tropa's about 4 years ago. Nasty place with starving animals. We stopped by there again last fall, there was a dramatric improvement in the overall conditions, with some new animals and some of the old ones gone.

Larry

8. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    The old ones must have died from neglect and new ones arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.