Dumaguete Info Search

Manny Pacquiao

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by grandpainak, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Manny Pacquiao and Jorge Solis fight. I was wondering how the
    fight went. Any body know? I can't get it here in Alaska. Please let me know.

Jim

2. OP
    OP
    grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    You there in Dumaguete should be able to watch it here;
    The live feed will be viewed at USATV's community Channel 9.

Jim

3. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    To answer your question grandpainak, here it is:smile:

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Pacquiao knocks out Solis to keep title

San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Manny Pacquiao retained his international WBC super featherweight title with an eighth-round knockout of Jorge Solis.

Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 KOs), a congressional candidate in the Philippines, dominated most of the bout and ended it by flooring his Mexican opponent twice in the eighth round.

Solis (32-1-2), in his first world title fight, couldn't keep up with the fast pace of "Pacman" Pacquiao.

Solis used a stunning right to the face in the fifth round, and Pacquiao sustained a cut above his left eye via a head butt. The cut was noticeably deep in the sixth and blood was trickling from near the left eye, but Pacquiao continued to pound away, and Solis was pushed to the canvas.

Solis landed a strong uppercut, but Pacquiao dominated the sixth round. The Filipino star continued to wince in pain from the cut near his eye in the seventh, but kept landing jabs and forcing Solis to retreat.

Pacquiao's aggressive boxing paid off in the opening minute of round eight, when he sent Solis to the canvas with a right uppercut. Pacquiao then used a solid left to floor Solis again, and referee Vic Drakulich counted out Solis at the 1:16 mark.

4. OP
    OP
    grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Thanks for the blow by blow.
    Wish I could have watched it.

Jim

5. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Eeeerrrr ,sorry to all the avid ,die hard fans of Manny Pacqiao.I tell you people,I am SICK of him ! He can flaunt himself with his Philippine boxing celebrity status and be loved by people forever.But his current involvement and ambitions getting into politics ,as a CONGRESSMAN? That made me like to puke.His mentality of just only a High school graduate,how can his brains tackle to understand the mind boggling issues in this country.His intentions might be honest ,but sadly his educational background is a great disadavantage in making better decisions for this country to propel.In his position he can easily be manipulated by the big conning BUWAYAS (crocodiles),the trapos and hell bent corrupt ones that had already established their positions and dynasties long in Philippine politics.Looking at his face... geeeeee.He will be better off leaving and dying himself as a known beloved boxer representing the filipino people rather than an added political puppet and failure for this country!

I think he is more likely motivated with greed and selfishness ,riding on in the edge of his growing popularity , rather than honestly to serve the people.If he will be the next Philippines president, I think the PI will nose dive to hell!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    manny pacquiao and politics

I do not think it is his (Manny Pacquiao's) educational background that is important for his future "political career". I believe that is one's desire to serve and one's true intentions for the country that counts.

I have never knew Manny's background and profile, though, and more I can not say about his political ambitions.

But I am afraid that the rest of the political aspirants who have unpure intentions (whom pickled_newt called Buwayas) who will form a party with Pacquaio will gain votes thru Pacquiao's name.

7. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't agree with Manny's decision to join politics either. However, it's his life and he can do whatever he wants to do. I just hope that IF he wins, he'll do good things to the people who believed in him. If not, boxing is his forte not politics so he should stick to what he's good at.

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    About Manny getting involved with politics : well yes he is not the best guy to get into this stuff! but he has a right to have an opinion, but he is probably being manipulated by other parties, and is only a front man as he is popular with the people, well doesn't every politician do that? also have a look at the Presidents you have voted for in the past? THEY ARE ALL CORRUPT. Even the one you got now is not too bright. Film stars??? yeah vote them in! thats the trouble with the phils its not what you know its who you know and you got to be a celebrity, like USA... Swarzenegger??? what a joke!...So do not knock Manny, he is only in it for the poplularity but who is behind him? that more worrying. For me the best President you had, and he was not sqeaky clean, but for me it was Ramos, I could see he was genuine, or at least TRYING. And He did achieve alot in a short time, I think he should have stayed a bit longer. For me the phils is dogged by one thing, Filipinos cannot look at the problems head on and deal with them, they tend to dodge, ignore, sidestep, go over the top, underneath, ANYTHING but face the problems. A lack of will, thats why corruption is winning. OK thats my rant over.

9. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    are you joking?

What are you saying PhilT the current president isn't that bright?Are you joking ,her CV is impressive and she's also educated in the US,d*mn a person who collected such honors couldn't be stupid piece.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curriculum Vitae of

President Gloria Macaraeg Macapagal-Arroyo

I. FAMILY

a. Date and Place of Birth: April 5, 1947, San Juan

b. Parents
    Diosdado Pangan Macapagal (deceased)

Ninth President of the Republic of the Philippines

Born: September 28, 1910; Died: April 21, 1997

Dir. Evangelina Macaraeg-Macapagal (deceased)

Born: November 1, 1915; Died: May 16, 1999

c. Husband
    Atty. Jose Miguel Tuason Arroyo

(Ateneo School of Law 1972)

Born: June 27, 1946

Married on August 2, 1968

d. Children
    Juan Miguel

Born: April 26, 1969

Graduate Diploma in Business Administration

University of California at Berkeley

Evangelina Lourdes

Born: June 5, 1971

MS in Foreign Service, Georgetown University

Diosdado Ignacio

Born: September 4, 1974

BS in Legal Management, Ateneo de Naga

II. EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

Primary
    Assumption Convent High School, 1954-1960

Secondary
    Assumption Convent High School, 1960-1964, Valedictorian

Tertiary
    Georgetown University, 1964-1966, AB Economics, Dean`s Lister

Assumption College, 1968, AB Economics, Magna cum laude

Ateneo de Manila University, 1978, MA Economics

Graduate
    UP School of Economics, 1985, Ph.D. in Economics

III. CONCISE PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND

Assistant Professor, Ateneo de Manila University, 1977-1987

Chair, Economics Department, Assumption College, 1984-1987

Professor, UP School of Economics, 1977-1987

Assistant Secretary, Department of Trade and Industry, 1989-1992

Senator, 1992-1998

Secretary, Department of Social Welfare and Development, July 1998-October 2000

Vice President, July 1998-January 20, 2001

President, January 20, 2001- present

IV. MEMBERSHIP IN ORGANIZATIONS (Past & Present)

Association for Philippines-China Understanding (APCU)

Philippine Economics Society

Georgetown Club of the Philippines

Concerned Women of the Philippines

V. ELECTIVE POSITIONS HELD IN SPECIFIC YEARS

Senator, 1992-1998

Vice President, July 1998-January 20, 2001

VI. AWARDS AND COMMENDATIONS

Outstanding Senator- Philippine Graphic,

Philippine Reporter, Public Eye

Woman of the Year- Catholic Education Association of the Philippines

Ulirang Ina

One of the Asia`s Most Powerful Women - Asiaweek

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I have mentioned the same line of argument about Manny in my initial post , succeeding people's posts basically agrees the main point. This is the starting move by some politicians using his popularity .

Manny himself should have known his very limitations accordingly being aware of his very limited educational level ,to handle Congressional office .He has not achieved any obvious track record of public service ,at least as a civil servant or a respectable barrio captain .

It’s the obvious of the most obvious that he is manipulated,with no argument most people here agree with it .But can people allow such to happen ,let it go reluctantly with no cares, only because of sincere,kind self respect of Manny Pacqiao’s personal interest to help . But is he capable ? It doesn't only need overwhelming charisma ,goodness and sincerity ,but intellectual capabilities . He's physical punches are extraordinary , but not sure about his brains in making HIGH PROFILE DECISIONS esp for his countrymen.I mentioned this before,although his intentions perhaps are right but he will certainly be used up for the interest on the few .

And for PhilT ,I am not mocking about Manny Pacqiao . I am rather only more realistic and concerned.Anybody who comes out into the limelight of politics ( as you should be aware of it ) has to face up public scrutiny of their private lives ,including the candidates’ capabilities and limitations to take up such big role and responsibilities they are about to be elected for. You should have known that ,LMAO .This is NOT entirely about the life of M .Pacquiao and his personal life’s decision, that I am making fuzz about .This is concerning significant issues that will affect the fate of the majority Filipino people in the long term scenario .I am a Filipino PhilT , so I think I am entitled to join many discerning Filipinos who are deeply concerned about this trend.

Everything is all predictable in Philippine politics. Foreseeably ,next to being a congressman ,Manny P. will be tossed up to the Senate post by the next election and eventually as Presidential Candidate . Any MASA popular candidate will have big edge of winning . Because majority of the masa .The maj of masses never question ,they all agree ,they love celebrity stars as presidents ,senators and what have you .... Having a high school educated president, he’ll be in Malacanang as figurative hallow entity,just as a nodding puppet. Who will be signing/ agreeing to new laws & govt policies in favour of the few mega elites' interests .

I have more respect for Manny Pacqiao if he was contented for humble role to begin with ,like as counsellor for his district or even as MAYOR,but thinking big as a CONGRESSMAN ? d*mn,he knew his limitations, let's be realistic ,he must be aware that he is being used up ,and he is riding on it too.I think that is an act of stupidity and selfishness ,at the cost of the majority of the filipinos .

For you PhilT ,a person living your good life in Britain ,never share the tears and blood and sufferings of many Filipinos should minimize at least those rantings.Because, whatever happens to the Philippines comes to worse ,you will remain either in Britain or retire in a diff country to continue enjoying your good life. You’ll never partake the pains we all have here.People like you should never plan to live in the Philippines, honestly. Your whinings is an added insult to injury .:rolleyes::confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.