Dumaguete Info Search

Marriage in the Philippines

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by firea, Apr 10, 2007.

1. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My fiance (Canadian) and I are planning to get married soon. We've researched all the requirements and we pretty much have everything in place except for the "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage".

From the websites, this needs to be issued by the Canadian Embassy upon his arrival to the Philippines. I have several questions regarding it.

1. How long is the waiting time before it gets issued?
    2. Is the "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" the same with "statement in-lieu of certification of non-impediment to marriage abroad"? If not, do we need to get both?
    3. If he obtains the statement in-lieu of certification of non-impediment to marriage abroad from Canada, will this be valid in the Philippines?

I hope someone can answer my questions. If you have gone through this, I would appreciate if you can share your story.

Thank you in advance!

2. rjmerit

rjmerit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know how it works at the Canadian embassy but as an American it is a simple process of showing up, waiting in line, sign a document that says "I swear I'm single" and paying $30. I did it twice, once in Qatar and once in the Philippines (I'm married twice to the same lady); and it had to be done in that country, i.e. I couldn't get another in Qatar to take with me to the Philippines. Hopefully its just as easy for your fiance.

3. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    legal capacity

Firea,

I married a Filipina and we had questions about the Legal Capacity requirements also but my wife called the American Embassy and had all our questions answered. Can you do this as well by calling the Canadian Embassy?

chi town

4. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Beside the Legal Cap , you likely will have an interview about your desire to get married. It is not done on all occassions , but random. Atleast it is that way with the EU embassies here.

Furthermore I wish you good luck and for lateron a beautifull relationship as so many of us have already ...
    Earl

5. vette77

vette77 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I went to the Cebu Embsay and applied for our certificate in the morning and was ask to return after lunch for the interview, it was then issued , we then took it and applied for the mariage license. the waiting period is 10 day from issue date to pick up the license, we were also required to meet with a mariage consultant and she had to sign the approval form which was then returned to the mariage licens and the application was completed, note: the 10 days does not include holidays.
    hope this helps

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi firea. I hate to recommend the competition....it'll never compare to this site though...but Mag-Anak yahoo group would definitely have Canadians on board who have either gone thru the process recently, or are doing so now. It gets a lot of traffic - so hopefully you'll get a quick answer to your questions. And congratulations!

7. OP
    OP
    firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thank you all for your help. I didn't know that there was an interview involved :confused: .

I'll try giving the embassy a call. What time do they open? I hope they open as early as 8am. The problem is, I work at night. So before everything opens, I'm usually asleep.

Wish me luck!

8. Kev

Kev DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know when I went to the US Embassy in Manila, I had to show my divorce paper to get the legal capicity to marry form.

I got all the information from their web site.

9. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep! If somebody is divorced, they better have a copy of their divorce papers, or they'll be out of luck.