Dumaguete Info Search

Mating Nudibranches

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by earlmj, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    This is a rare picture as what you see here is the mating of two TJAMBIA sp. Nudibranches. These mating can take several hours and even a couple of days like with these ones here. the pciture is taken , once again,at my Laboratory in Manila .As you will see the slugs are connected with eachother. After a few days the eggs ,which are normaly red colored and resembling a string of pearls ,are layed after which the slug will die...

The majority of Nudibranches are Carnivorous and trive strictly on Coral Polys. Very few are algae eaters

Attached Files:

2. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    interesting - are those in captivity or were you lucky enough to chance upon that on a dive?
    what is more interesting to me are mating marine flatworms
    they are both male and female and both try to pierce the other with their penises and the one that looses gets stuck with the kids... its called "penis fencing"

3. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    This "event " took place in one of my tanks.........

4. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    what kind of establishment are you running there earl?
    a short time motel for nudis?
    I usually see at least a couple species of nudibranchs every dive at liloan pt.
    but haven't seen them mating yet. I would like to have some on display in a tank but cant feed them properly so I leave them in the ocean. Any ideas on how to do that without taking coral as well? Which species eats algae?
    They arent edible so they are also spared by the fishermen.

5. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    I am sure we will meet now very soon and we will discuss all possibilities.It is hard to tell right here which ones are herbivorous . Several types like the Glossodoris festiva and G. quadricolor do pretty well in a tank for several months WITHOUT corals to feed on . This is the G. quadricolor. It does NOT feed on the coral in the back but mainly on Gorgonian Corals .
    The other picture is of G. festiva ( purple) This one can vary in color a bit and the tentacle cwron can be either purple or orange. It is ambudant in Cebu area.The Sea Pen on the right is belonging to the Family of ECHINODERMATA and named Cavernularia Obesa .

Attached Files:

6. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.