Dumaguete Info Search

MATTRESS SIZES IN THE PHILIPPINES???

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by nwlivewire, Jun 7, 2015.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear One and All:

It was mentioned to me that decent quality sheets are hard to come by in Duma or perhaps they are cost prohibitive.

Either way, since I am can arrive with some bedding - sheets but no mattress - I need to know what the standard size of a mattress is the Philippines. One large enough for two adults.

I assume there are standard sizings of mattresses that are used in rental apartment and rental homes, yes?

Can someone tell me what those dimensions might be so I can bring the correct flat-sized sheets that will fit them? My sheet sizes are in US inches, but I can covert the measurements to see if they will still fit.

I'm looking at mattress size measurements that are large enough to accommodate two adults. No kid bed sized or twin ones.

If I can reuse the sheets I have as many are brand new - still in the package. That will save me some money for sure if I can repurpose them.

If not, then the sheets I have will go to Goodwill next month.

Anyone know the answer on common mattress sizes in the Philippines?

Thanks!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

2. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17

3. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    For mattresses in Dumaguete, Mandaue Foam.( Page not found - Mandaue Foam Philippines are the the largest and with the best collection of mattresses nd sheets I have a queen waterbed and found sheets of average quality...Miguel

4. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    All your packaged sheets will work fine. Measuring my 2 queen beds, one is a mattress set, 58" x 78" the other is a foam mattress, 54" x 78". I use king sheets for both. Patty

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

THANKS!

Standard Queen beds here in the States measure 60 X 80. This most nearly approximates the UK standard King size dimensions of 60 X 78.

54 X 75 seems to approximate the standard size of a double bed.

US Queen flat sheets should work fine for either one.

So I will keep the Queen sheets and larger and Goodwill the smaller ones.

Thank-you Miguel and Patty! You guys saved me a few bucks and prevented a toss-out of good sheets I can still make use of.

One last question:

Since I'll be in a rental in Duma, if it should come furnished with those foam mattresses, is it possible to stack two of the same size on top of each other without them slip-sliding apart? The foam seems a bit thin and wonder if just one foam mattress is gonna kill my back by being too firm.

V/R,

nwlivewire

6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The queen size foam mattress in our room is around 6" thick and fits US sized sheets, the twin mattress in our son's room is 4" thick. I assume they make thinner mattresses but 6" thick is quite comfortable over wood, it is quite firm but I prefer firm as a soft mattress kills my back.

I never rented a place that was furnished but I know not everyone uses mattresses or beds.

Shawn

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    At the very least a "furnished" house should come with a mattress for the main bedroom. Just remember that there is no clear cut definition of "furnished" in the Philippines and everything here can be negotiated. You can always tell the owner what your definition of "furnished" is prior to moving in. Refuse to sign the lease until what you agreed on is met, if the agreement isn't met within a week start looking for a new place as that is a sure sign the landlord isn't going to follow through with fixing any larger problems the place might have. Don't let anyone pressure you into anything, take your time and dodge the landlord's requests to sign until you have what you want.

(Dodging commitments is extremely easy in the non-confrontational culture of the Philippines. When they knock you could be taking a nap, when they call your phone was low-bat, when they knock and call and see you walking around in the place and hear your phone ringing say you have bad hearing. It's taboo to call someone out even on the most blatant of lies. If they do call you out just resort to ad hominem attacks. When in Rome. lol :wink:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Thank-you Shawn for the mattress info. That's a big help on what to expect.

And Wrye83, this info is VERY good to know in advance before it comes time to find a place. Knowing these cultural nuances now will help me navigate this process under an umbrella of reality.

9. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My computer had a hiccup just now, so I have to finish the above posting with a new one.

Anyway Wrye83, good stuff to post on the "How To" and the "What To Look For" signs while locating and renting a property around the PI region.

This will be very helpful for me when I get there.

And of course, I will give you all a "heads up" as to my arrival time frames next late Spring, so if you know of a decent place with a good landlord, my hope is that this will help me to winnow the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks!

V/R,
    nwlivewire