Dumaguete Info Search

maybe a stupid question

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by carl, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    what does " expat " stand for or mean ? thanks ....Carl

2. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  3. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    thanks

thx tubigboy . i appreciate that . as far as the house i bought there in duma , the tricycles and such . it does not bother me .the house is in a great area of the city . im choosing duma simply for my children . i want them to get a good ol fashioned education , like i had when i was a kid . unlike the filthy worthless education they would get if i selfishly stayed here in the usa . ive been in many many cities in the philippines . all of them of which are over crowded , stinky and air polluted like no tomorrow . thank god i found dumaguete . regards , .....Carl

4. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So refreshing indeed re DC. Thanks Carl. Do look in the Classified Section. I am advertising the second floor of my place close to the Provincial Hospital, however, the one in or close to Valencia [I think owned by Earl?] would be ideal for a family with growing children. How old are your kids anyways? Good choice-- Dumaguete City!:smile:

5. boyette

boyette DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi Carl!
    Not really a stupid question. "Expat' is a shortened word for expatriate, meant for a person living in a foreign land.

Hope that clears up matters for you.

6. tanjames_ph

tanjames_ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The term is often used in the context of Westerners living in non-Western countries, although it is also used to describe Westerners living in other Western countries, such as Americans living in the United Kingdom, or Britons living in Spain. It may also reasonably refer to Japanese living, for example, in New York City, New York. The key determinant would seem to be cultural/socioeconomic and causation. Here is the link to the entire definition.

7. hailey

hailey One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Carl, your comment on US education as " filthy worthless education" is harsh and unfair. I'm a graduate of Silliman and now a teacher in California. It may be true that some schools are under performing esp. in the ghetto area, but generalizing the education here in US as filthy and worthless is wrong. I personally know some of our kababayans who are college degree holders in our country but cannot pass the middle school level content standards (8th grade). Now, that's what we may call worthless, right? but, just the same we cannot generalize that the PI education is worthless. Schools in every country vary in performance. It's by school, not the entire education system.

8. OP
    OP
    carl

carl DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    you may be right .

i think i may be refering to the values that are taught in our school systems here in the late great USA .the values that are not necessarily taught by the teachers . this country is circling the toilet drain and very very soon will be flushed down . wait until broke- back o- bummer gets elected .not only will our schools be loaded with the values of a worn out prostitute , but our entire country will , if it isnt allready . as you can see , im not very fond of this country any longer . so maybe im a little biased . sorry if i offended you or anyone else . , .....Carl

9. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Carl,
    It's best to leave that political crap at home.
    Kenny

10. Fireman

Fireman DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any degree from an American university.....

hey from the Fireman,
    I live in Cebu and have been to Duma and truly loved it. I am making plans to move there with wife and kids at some point. But, as much as I like the traditional values of the town and school system, it sure doesn't compare to the educational system or opportunities in The States.
    You never get it all and I like the culture and value system that I get here. I hope my kids can keep up acedemically with there peers from across the pond.
    I'm sure Ang Lee would appreciate you post. haha.
    More later......:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.