Dumaguete Info Search

meat based diet anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by kelpguy, Jan 16, 2023.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i've been puttzing with a meat based way of eating for a couple of years and would be interested in meeting up with likeminded either face to face or online.

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    In my small town in Scotland which has around 50K of people we used to have many Butchers in the town perhaps as many as into the high teens of which most of them died very young before the age of 65yrs, the only one that did reach his 3 score and ten was a little skinny guy which is most unusual for a Butcher.

Meat prices are quite high in PH being about the same as that in UK with the exception of well hung beef, the supermarkets make claims that some of the cuts they sell have been hung for 30 days, but a plain minced beef can be had cheaper than in PH.

White meat is perhaps the best way to go and the very best of that is Rabbit Meat for nutrition and the cheapest to produce as long as they are not fed wholly on commercial feed, the old saying breeding like Rabbits is not strictly true when you cage them, but keeping them in a free range social system (Colony Breeding) gives great results, there are loads on information available from others in the PH that are doing this, check out Dexter's World.

I have a small set up at the house in Valencia where the Rabbits run free range, they are quite entertaining to observe much more than Fish in a Tank, fish never look all that happy and never smile?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
  4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    :happy:
    I believe Rabbit tastes like Chicken, I can remember my parents house were there would be a couple of rabbits hanging up from time to time, but never saw them being skinned.
    They would come from the local farm shoots along with the occasional pheasant. Rabbits in a butchers shop in UK is a rare thing these days.

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I use to see them hung up on market stalls. I use to go hunting for rabbit in my early teens, I had a ferret to put down the warren and have nets over the hole, the rabbits run into the nets and I grabbed them my bro-in law had a shot gun to shoot any that escaped.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    When I was 15 Dad bought me a Winchester Model 9422M, Stands for Magnum BTW. With a 3 to 7 variable scope, that's when I really started sharp-shooting, made possible with a Bushnell bore-sighter. Awesome tool for accuracy! Guess with-in the next 2 years, I got some Red Fox, Wolves, and about 30+ Cotton tail rabbits, along with 3 snow shoe Hares. I gave all I ever shot to my Uncles Family as they were kind of impoverished. They made all the Rabbits (always in a stew) and I did eat it a few times, Amazingly delicious! No one should live a Life on Earth with out twying Wabbit. Than I joined the Army (may be a side effect)

• Like Like x 2
  7. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Yes I have head of the use of ferrets Jim, my Grandad apparently used ferrets and whippets to catch the rabbits.
    When we were kids we were always told it was chicken stew. ( because my older sisters had a pet Rabbit! )

• Like Like x 1
  8. EandN

EandN DI Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 17
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    Non meat diet far healthier IMO of course.

Not eaten meats since 1982ish, long time ago.

Seriously don't miss it one bit.

Did eat fish, but none since the start of 2023 and I'll see how it goes fish wise.

As for sausages, well that just plain ridiculous Lol

10. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    So question being what is it you subsitute meat with to obtain your protein?
    Anyone living in Philippines knows its the land of Pork and Chicken as well as fish of course.