Dumaguete Info Search

Healthcare Meds from VA

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by Izzyb44, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Izzyb44

Izzyb44 DI New Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm living in Dumaguete City I need to know how to get my meds from Va? thanks Izzy

2. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    You can have prescriptions refilled via phone or internet to VA and sent to your US address then have someone send them here.

Or do as I do and simply pay the price for meds here which is simple but obviously will cost you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Cletus:

If the meds are usually or have always been a part of the Vet's VA health care regimen in the States, when that Vet moves out-of-country (like to Duma), and IF that Vet buys those meds from the local Duma pharmacy, does the VA reimburse the Vet?

A couple of the meds I get from time to time from the VA are strictly controlled here in the States, and while I I can still get them through the USPS mail system, I must sign for that particular VA med package at the Post Office before the P.O. will release those meds to me. It's a PITA thing for me to have to do for 20 little pills every other month, but that's the way it is here.

So how does the VA in Duma handle VA meds, pharmacy Rxs and refills? Or, are you on your own and pay for everything without reimbursement?

Thank-you for any and all responses to my VA Vets in Duma!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    First, are you talking about meds for a service connected disability? If not, the previous answer is the only way, However, you could run into a illegal international transfer problem depending on what they are.

If they are service connected, I am beginning that same process. Looks like I can reply to an email with my local number to the VA in Manila and they will take my information, verify eligibility with VA Atlanta, then assign primary care and call me to schedule an appointment for a physical after which I can get my refills.

I will add information as I proceed through the process.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear AlwayRt:

Yes. I am referring to service-connected only as that is all the VA will cover in the Philippines.

Hmmmm....

1. From your posting, I am assuming all your medical records are still in the States and you have not transferred your VA med records to Manila? Am I correct on this?

2. Manila has to call Atlanta? Is Atlanta some sort of VA Clearing Office for all Vets in need of service in the Philippines?

If I don't need to or have to transfer my medical records to Manila, AND, I am eligible for ALL VA services in the Philippines without having to tranfer my med files, then I would just prefer to keep all my records with the VA Regional in California - keep things the way there are now.

I want to be able to use any and all VA services in the Philippines for the three years I'll be here. If I don't need to transfer my records and still have any and all VA options open to me, then that's one less thing that can eliminated from my checklist of "Things To Do" - and one less set of medical records I know won't get "lost" in the transfer process.

For sure. Please post a thread on HOW TO get the VA rolling in the Philippines. I will definately want to know the process of how to get "plugged in".

Thanks Buddy!

Hope things go smoothly and quickly for you.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sorry this is a bit long but it is the entire email at the stage I am currently at (made contact and this is first response)

"Welcome to VA Manila

Staff can enroll you on the phone. You will need to provide information to include your address, telephone number, SSN, birthdate, adjudicated service connection rating, etc. Staff will forward your information to the Health Eligibility Center in Atlanta to verify.

Upon verification, you will be assigned a primary care provider and scheduled an appointment. Your first appointment will include a head to toe assessment along with labs. Your appointment will be 1 hour with the doctor and another hour for labs, and orientation. Your primary care physician can provide you medical care, authorize specialty care including labs, diagnostic tests and medication to treat your service connected conditions. All conditions that are not service connected can not be treated including medications.

There are no co pays and if you have insurance we do not bill. As long has you are rated 0% you will incur no expense.

If you are 100% service connected does not entitle you to care for Non Service Connected Conditions.

You must be seen by your primary care doctor as directed. If you take opioids then your are required to be seen every 6 months in the clinic and submit to urine drug test.

On April 11, 2016 beneficiary travel will discontinue so you will not be reimbursed travel.

Please provide a telephone number so staff can call to schedule you an appointment."

...btw the response time was 6 hours (same day)

Steve

7. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+

Thank-you for posting this information.

What I find curious about this letter is this:

"...You must be seen by your primary care doctor as directed. If you take opioids then your are required to be seen every 6 months in the clinic and submit to urine drug test. On April 11, 2016 beneficiary travel will discontinue so you will not be reimbursed travel...."

In my case, I will be required to be seen in "the clinic" (wherever THAT is). It seems odd that the VA is mandating that a Vet MUST be seen in their VA clinic, but the VA is NOT travel reimbursing the Vet for this mandatory visit in order for the Vet to be prescribed their service-connected, opiod-based medication.

This doesn't make any sense to me unless they have a clinic somewhere around Duma.

Does the VA have a mobile clinic that shows up every six months in Duma to provide this service or what?

Really. Sometimes you just can't make this stupid stuff up about the VA.

I'd be very interested IF you get a chance - to ask this question about mandatory clinic show-ups for service-connected issues requiring an opiod-based medication and travel reimbursement or lack thereof with a mandatory clinic appointment.

Doesn't make sense unless the VA has a traveling VA health care team that shows up in Duma every six months to perform "Operation Golden Flow".

V/R,
    nwlivewire

8. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Best answer at the moment is...... It's more fun in the Philippines!!! Tadaaa

Remember, the VA in the Philippines is a one off unique location in the world and has separate authorization and funding from every other VA. Service organizations are already all over this ruling, no idea if they will be successful reinstating travel pay here.

Those who receive Opioid meds are mandatory 6 month appointment to continue receiving them, all others are annual appointments at the clinic in Manila.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My thought is that eventually, the VA will "sub" out some of this stuff to local contractors, or have mobile clinics or something.

I say this because the US military is just getting started in doing their "pivot" to the Philippines and SE Asia. So over time, it may be possible that the VA will be wanting to coordinate/re-configure how they manage their health care services in the Philippines.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Question are you rated at least 0, zero percent service connected injury? If so you can sign up for MyHealtheVet and do it all online. PM me for details if you have questions. That's how I get all my meds and make appointments etc.., I also request LOA's...

• Informative Informative x 1