Dumaguete Info Search

Megamouth Shark in Donsol

Discussion in '☋ Other Destinations in the Philippines and Asia ☋' started by Rhoody, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... eaten by local fishermen...

just a few weeks ago Donsol went through the worldpress as fishermen rescued a whaleshark-baby.

Well, now a few weeks after that the famous fishermen are in the press again. This time for catching and killing and eating a megamouth shark...

Here the news-story from an australian website:

A MEGAMOUTH shark, one of the world's most elusive species, was caught, carved up and eaten by fishermen from a town in the Philippines, the environmental conservation group WWF said today.

So rare are megamouth shark sightings that each find is given a number - this one, caught by fishermen from the coastal town of Donsol - was the 41st ever seen or captured in the world.

But Elson Aca, a Donsol WWF representative, said it was butchered and its meat sauteed in coconut milk as a local delicacy, against the organisation's device.

The 4m, half-tonne megamouth was snared by fishermen trawling for mackerel off the Bicol peninsula on Luzon island.

The species, which is named after its metre-wide mouth, is a fairly recent scientific discovery. The first specimen was caught off Oahu, Hawaii in 1976.

The scientific community hailed it as the 20th century's most significant marine find, the WWF said.
    It is classified by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature as "data deficient'' because so few have ever been studied.

Ironically, Donsol has earned a global reputation for marine conservation, after campaigners convinced the locals to stop butchering giant whale sharks which use the nearby waters to feed.

The town prides itself as the whale shark capital of the world and marine tourism is a key money earner.

The Philippines sits at the apex of a so-called Coral Triangle, considered by experts as a world centre for marine bio-diversity

I hope the fishermen "wee through their lubot" untill the end of their days...

2. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    I was under the impression it was an endangered species and illegal to slaughter in the philippines. I for one think they should be hung by their balls from the highest tree

3. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Knowing the government they would only allow ball hanging from 'dwarf' mango trees though:D , in case of breaching human rights.....:eek:

4. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    the government won't interfear as long they got a portion of megamouth - adovo or two..

anyway, now it is said that the shark was already dead when they had it in the net....

5. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Bikerdave

When you give them enough work and food they will be very happy with you and the will not do it again.
    Easy taking when you dont have those problems.

Greetings J.Diver

6. bikerdave

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    As I have a bar,restaurant,hotel and dive shop I think you are barking up the wrong persons tree.I have plenty of employees who are treated well but after a while decide not to work any longer because of laziness.Suddenly after a month or two goes by they reapply. When something comes up on the beach I never have seen the locals run so fast. And yes it happens here with Dolphins Turtles etc. So get off your high horse. An endangered species is an endangered species regardless how hungry anyone gets. The slaughter should be stopped IT'S THE LAW!!!!!!

7. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I come to Dumaguete for many many times and years and I see how the fisherman are pulling away off the beach .
    There are now resorts and houses and what did they got.
    Yes it is the law, but did you never did anything wrong in your live against the law.
    I cannot say that for myself.

Greetings J.diver

8. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    To add a further comment to the above.
    I've personally been to a lawyer's house in Dumaguete, albeit many years ago, when turtle (Paweekan) was served and he wasn't short of a 'bob or two', nor were any of the guests for that matter..........:p
    (Unsure if you were there BD, as I was pretty messed up on his brandy, I think you'll remember our 'illustrious legal member' though!):wink:

9. bikerdave

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Being a diver I am surprised that you have never seen the fisherman get anything. The Bantay Dagat and local fishermen association get a part of the sanctuary fees that divers pay. You can see that on the official receipts that they issue. Sometime they try to re issue used ones. So please don't tell me that the fisherfolk got nothing.They are receiving much better income from resort and diving related activities than fishing.Living and working on an inter island trawler is not a life nor is paddling out in a canoe and hoping you catch something in already fished out waters to support a family that is too large in the first place. The economy is tough all over for all. If the resorts packed up and went home it would be worse as 95% of employees are filipino

10. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello Bikerdave

Of course you are right in someways but I dont judge them as hard you do.
    Ik know Jim on Malapasqua a local fisher in a hous eof nothing but made of rubish of the see and many mgamouth to feet.

I know a family in Antipolo there house was washed away by a landside and you know how that happened
    They got 2000 pesos from the goverment, a family of 6 people.

Ik have been at a boat of the see nomads, and that is very very poor.

Maby we can talk about this together when I am in Dumaguete and I want to hear more from you about everything because you live over there and I am just comming over for a holiday 2 times a year.

Greetings J.Diver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.