Dumaguete Info Search

Recreation & Hobbies Metal Detector

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by ShawnM, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A hobby I've wanted to try for many years is going around some beaches and eventually around the jungle a bit with a metal detector. I was curious if you can buy them in the Philippines (and where) or if I need to order one from the US. Mr. Google was not overly helpful and I searched the forum without luck.

Thanks,

Shawn

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not to hijack the thread but I would be curious what the laws might be in the Philippines in the instance that you found some "treasure". I'd be almost certain that if you found something on private property it would bring to the owner...but on public land? I imagine you would have to be "caught" finding the treasure first, though I imagine walking around with a metal detector and then bending down to dig something up would almost certainly get some eyes looking your direction.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Used to have a Tesoro silver sabre 2 in the uk,the restrictions here are not good. You need a licence for a start and anything found on private property you need give 30% to land owner and if public lands the government get 50%
    I should imagine the hills above Valencia would be OK for ww2 artifacts as a lot of the stuff in the museum in Valencia was found with a detector.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    From what little info I could find is that it is fine on public land (such as beaches) not as clear what would be required on private land. It is just a hobby that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Any jungle excursion would most likely be limited to around the village where the wife is from as she knows everyone and less chance of anyone bothering me.

That WWII museum in Valencia is one of the cooler places I've been to in Negros; actually need to visit the place again as the owner was a very interesting guy to talk to. He would probably know some of the requirements for using a metal detector and maybe where to find one.

I also looked at OLX but it looked like most of the ones listed where for looking for gold deposits and such and I have no interest in opening up that can of worms.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I just ordered a Garrett AT Pro, hopefully will have it next week. I'm currently in Korea so plan to put it to work on beaches and some mountain trails to start with. I've had one of my Korean engineers check on regulations for use for me and it looks like there are few unless you find something historic. I figure I'll be finding more beer and soju caps than coins but am looking to fill some time when I'm not fishing.

If I actually start finding interesting things I will start a new thread.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
  7. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Watching the wild Chickens everyday around here digging and finding something I can only imagine the curiosity of the the locals! :sneaky: hehe

When I came back here to live my 'then Pastor' asked me if I happened to have a Metal Detector laying around that I would like to give to him, seems the stories/ legends/ myths of hidden Japanese Gold from WW2 are still alive and well here, one woman I knew online, told me her father was told there was gold buried beneath their house, he smashed all the concrete flooring and dug up everything until the house was worthless, no Gold (surprise-surprise) and ended up selling the house to the 'informer' at a giveaway price... :speechless:

I look around and see LOTS of rubbish, especially old cans and bits of old corrugated iron, I would be very interested if anything valuable could be found here... :o o: I came here delusional that I might find an old car (1920's to 1960's) I could Restore/ Hotrod but after years of scouring the Internet and keeping my eyes peeled, the best I have seen are a few old Beetles sitting behind buildings here... :cry:
    Looking forward to interesting future threads of your finds mate! :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Used to do this a few yrs ago in the uk with a bit of sucsess in the form of roman,celtic and hammered coins. Lots of artifacts also.
    We were detecting in a local agri college one sunday morn and found a small hoard of Elizabeth 1st,charles 1st and james the 1st coins which must have been in a purse as there were 2 silver buckles and some other ornate silver stuff there also.
    Beaches are also good after a storm for rings and cash,there was one beach in dorset i found 16 gold rings and a couple of soverigns in a month.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm pretty stoked about picking up the detector this weekend, may be a couple weeks after before I figure the machine out and decide on where to try here in Daegu. Korea has an interesting history and seems like few detect here so it would be cool to find something significant, but figure expectations low to recent coins and such. Still a chance to learn a hobby I've been interested in for quite awhile with no recent opportunities to try.

Shawn

10. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've looked at some metal detecting forums and Europe finds just blow my mind on how old some of them are...such a rich history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1