Dumaguete Info Search

Mindanao (northern), is fine! Not kidnapped or beheaded yet.

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Wildlands1, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Would you travel in Mindanao?

1. Yes, in the Christian areas

75.0%
  2. Not a chance

25.0%
  3. Maybe with SEAL Team 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Two weeks so far and im still alive. the northern coast of Mindanao is totally fine for a traveler. I think the few bad areas (Cotabato/Maguindanao) have given the entire island an undeserved bad-rep. Dapitan; totally safe, clean, quaint, and Aliguay Island diving rivals Apo anyday. CDO, a Cebu type city also seemed fine. Camiguin, as we all hear is amazing, lots of expats and little hotels and dive shops in Yumbing on north end. No problems there. Butuan City, relatively clean, organized, and friendly. Seems 100% safe. Only Iligan seemed to have lots of Muslims. Soon Surigao, Siargao, and the remote west coast road down to Mati.

2. Silverman

Silverman DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    "in the wrong place at the wrong time" I think applies anywhere on the planet- personally I stay away from potentially trouble areas like certain regions in the Middle East, any bars late at night in unfamiliar places, proverty areas late at night. I bet you could travel for a month or longer in southern Mindanao then report no problem area is fine; it's all timing. Personally walking along the national highway seems like a big risk and I should use better common sense, but we all take risks some people more than others. I stayed 10 days in Davao no problems but a year later there was a bomb at one of the malls. I would visit Davao again, maybe not at election time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Sounds great. Definitely better than Dumaguete where people get hit in the back of the head with a beer bottle. Does that happen to anyone where you are? Perhaps you have found paradise.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I usually avoid Muslim controlled areas unless I am being paid to be there (and have military protection). Anywhere in the ARMM (and it's surrounding provinces) is my personal "off limits" area here. I do not care if people have traveled or lived there for decades without incident, nothing will convince me that Muslims are peaceful and tolerant of other's beliefs/culture. I've been to far too many Muslim countries to know that is simply NOT true.

Even the "peaceful" Muslim countries/areas outside of the Philippines have sticks shoved so far up their @ss that anything a normal human would consider fun has likely been outlawed. I simply do not like anyone/group that forces their religion on other people, especially through laws/government. Not saying they don't have a "right" to control their own laws and area.....I'm just not going to go there and give them my tourist money. I'm sure they will figure it out when their oil runs out and the rest of the world doesn't need them anymore. (And if they want a glimpse of what their future will look like after their oil is gone all they have to do is look to the ARMM in the Philippines. The religion is simply not compatible with peace, stability and modern life and certainly not compatible with economic stability.)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You are totally safe in the Philippines, until sh@t happens. As a foreigner, you will always be seen as an easy mark. 99.9% will never encounter a problem, but now and then foreigners & locals are kidnapped and murdered. As Silverman said, wrong place, wrong time, which is multiplied if you are in a muslim area. Just a friendly smile to a girl could get you targeted. Don't tempt fate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1