Dumaguete Info Search

MOALBOAL bad news

Discussion in '☋ Other Destinations in the Philippines and Asia ☋' started by yabs, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    ALL restaurants from little corner to last filling station will be knowcked down plus all bars to make way for huge japanese resort from ocean globe.
    This is surely very bad news and the beginning of the end for rustic moalboal.
    another paradise lost
    I have writtne thr guy a letter to protest.
    all can do the same
    Mr Toshiomi Kiyonaga
    4-11-6-802
    Minamikoiwa edogawa -ku
    Tokyo 133-0056
    Japan

2. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yabs,

Welcome back, youve been away from the board for a while...

I'm not familiar with moalboal, but it is always sad to hear about development like that.

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    it will be difficult to walk from the north side to the south side with a big overpriced resort smack dab in the middle ...
    I am dissapointed that the municipality allowed that to happen

4. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I'm not surprised at all
    I'm surpsrised that you thought the tourism development in the Phils would be any different to thailand. I told you before to be careful what you wish for
    as I KNEW this would be the result. Please would you all write to this guy to protest. I have sent a letter of complaint already
    if you know the major or other influential people pleaase take this up with them as well.
    Moalboal because it is rustic and not full of big resorts is why I like it.
    It is my favourite place and i would be very upset if this happens.
    there really will be nowhere left if this happens.
    PG has already fallen along with Panglao island and Borocay.
    What I would suggest Cebudiver is that you also stop plugging the area on websites

5. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    one point to you yabs, but you werent here to see the environmental destruction caused by a lack of enforcement because of the lack of tourist income and lack incentive to preserve what is left - in many ways, things are getting better because of the tourism but I concede it is a double edged sword...

6. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    the key my friend is to keep things unpublisized and unpromoted.
    with the small world we live in people will ALWAYS find and seek nice beach
    areas. This is great as it onl;y then attracts the hardcore few. pulbisize it and the sheep then follow and oncer that happens, greed sets in and
    its another paradise lost. it was pretty d*mn obvious that the phils needed no promotion but since you started to plug it on TT
    I have seen a MARKED increase in tourism traffic
    maybge this is just coincidence
    but i really have a hard time trying to understand your motives behind that
    if as you say you didn't like thailand for its overdevlopment or even PG or Pangloa, i would have thought apo. moalboal etc had the perfect balance.
    it would be a great shame in having a hand in tipping that balance
    i would have thought, but that is EXACTLY what you have done

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Poverty and low level education /misinformation abour protecting the environment can cause dramatic impact leading to environmental distruction. These are documented facts .Why would poor people care about the environment if they are starving to death .I can emphatize on that .People have to address first of all their basic needs to survive . They'll cut trees ,destroy corals ,the marine enviroment and everything, through drastic measures of fishing /over fishing etc .In theory, tourism can alleviate or get people out of poverty ,by giving them jobs which could augment family incomes to relatively sustain and improve people's living standards ; educate children and enjoy life and in return it is one of perceived avenues to improve and protect the environment.In ways such as many jobs are created , people can be diverted into more environmentally friendly livehood, related to tourism services .However,if tourism is not managed and planned carefully ,it will give the opposite undesirable aftermath of no other than dreaded environmental disaster .

8. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    yes quite right
    the problem is when it goes form community based tourism
    ie Apo and parts of Moalboal to areas that atttract mass tourism and the subsequent internationla investors
    this moalboal situation is a perfect exmaple of that
    right now that area emplys many locals who have business there from restuarants to bars. if this jap guy knocks it down then it will only be him,
    a rich foreigner that gets richer and all the other locals lose their livelihoods
    so how on earth can this be good?
    sure some may get jobs at the new resort but not a lot and probably at far
    lower wages than previously earned from succussful family run restaurants etc.
    This is the ugly side if tourism where rich foreign investors
    gain and locals lose

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Noting some international tourism investors are starting to creep in with investments.Imagine the chinese coming in Negros and big hotels across Apo .The chinese even bought a place somewhere in Manila nr fort Bonifacio ,mainly due to their awareness of the growing number of chinese tourists coming to the Philippines,and this is only the initial start I guess.Looking at this trend in 2 decades from now dunno what happens. Unless the Philippines is ready with all structured environmental laws and policies with high regards to enviromental protection ,along with strict implementation of the above , might come out more of a threat than good.Only we have to hope for everything will be put into good balance.

10. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    -Joni Mitchell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.