Dumaguete Info Search

More leaving than coming?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by garbonzo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Is it just me...maybe not, since the wife thinks the same...But are more expats leaving lately than coming? Can only say about Bacolod, but the sense is that the those leaving lately has been rising. Our was-going to be neighbour has now packed it in and leaving after a couple of years - hell I thought he'd die there. Not sure yet of why yet (will know soon), but suspect security was the issue - have been hearing it dived in that area lately...Some others we know, or know of, have done the same, packed up, sold out - or trying to sell - and returned to their country or gone elsewhere in SEA...Seem to be getting more grumbles lately about the hassles of life in the Philippines too...but that may be due to the length of time there and the novelty wearing off. Seeing a lot more expat property for sale on Negros - Dumaguete in particular. Just wondering if life is getting harder, crime too out of control, medical issues that the locals can't handle, or just fed up?

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

None of the above. Expats come and expats go, this has been the pattern for years. They come here with hopes and dreams, and think they can change the world. After a few years, they are disgruntled and disheartened, and run back home (or elsewhere) with their tail between their legs. Most lose considerable sums of money in the learning curve, mostly because they fail to heed the warnings of seasoned expats. Some will even come to the forum asking for advice, then not heed it, thinking "that won't happen to ME!". Pretty soon they are the ones telling their horror stories, then they are gone. A never ending pattern that has been going on for years, and will go on for many more. I see more and more new arrivals of expats every year.

Larry

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    It is also my observation that more expats are leaving than coming.
    The reason is mostly financialy, sometimes health reason.
    Quite new is that foreign governments are lowering pensions of people permanently living abroad, and since about all governments all over the world are short of cash (to say the least) more pensions may be cut in the future.

4. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Agree with Larry, not all Negros relationships have fairy tale, happy endings. One thing never ceases to amaze me here though, how so many expats seem to be absolute experts on life here amongst the locals, usually, after only a few months. Circle of life I guess.

5. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Often when expats have kids here, they leave - if they can- to send them to Western schools

6. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    some just get tired and want stable electricity, decent internet, clean streets and good educations.

7. RALPHHOGAN

RALPHHOGAN DI Member

Diver
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1
    I miss the smell of burning garbage.

8. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Hell, i've lived in Korea for 27 years and still not much of an expert on expat life they are; what I don't know or haven't figured out would fill a volume :-) Keeps it interesting, always learning, mentally stimulating...

9. Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if it is cause of the recent earthquake? My wife and I are thinking of moving to Dumaguete, but my wife keeps telling me it's in the ring of fire and we will not have peace in Dumaguete. She has mixed feelings about moving there for good. My concern is financially can we live there comfortable with our monthly pensions and what about the crime there now? I get $1,341 US dollars but concerned if I can live there in a comfortable life style.

10. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'd advise any American thinking about moving here to spend at least 1 year here before they make the commitment.
    At least 1 year.
    A lot of things one might not even notice on a short stay can become total game changers on a longer stay.
    Living here is definitely not for everybody.