Dumaguete Info Search

Motorcycles made in China - any good ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by paul-angie, Mar 18, 2012.

1. paul-angie

paul-angie Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi folks.

Are the Motorcyles made in China, such as the Sinski brand, good products ?

Anyone have any experience with them ?

I have heard good news and bad news since I have been here................. lol:D

I am looking to buy a Cruiser, but prefer to pay only around 60,000 PHP, or less, for one.

Thanks.

Paul.

2. Lee from Canada

Lee from Canada DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend has the sinski touring model and its 3 0r 4 years old and has had little problems (i have known the last 3 owners)
    I own a motorstar 200z for 3 years its been a great bike except for small electrical problems which have being cheap to fix.

Overall I,m a fan of the chinese bikes they have come a long way since first being introduced when i first bought my bike 2nd hand the shift fork was bent going into 2nd gear I took it into a local mechanic to get it fixed he phoned me the next day and said it would be 5000 pesos I was shocked until I went there and he was rebuilding the whole motor and buying a new battery as well as getting the signals to work . It was in storage for 18 months .

Motorstar I believe is the best of the new gen chinese bikes as they have partnered with Harley and a Italian scooter maker
    Remember when chinese cars came out lol junk but after seeing theres a international market they soon had there quality in line with most makers and I believe thats whats happening with the bikes .

Theres a lot of haters of chinese products but they are not all the same . there is different quality for different markets .
    The sinski cruiser is a good buy for the money and it looks big although underpowered for the size of the bike .

For 2500 dollars you not going to be able to touch a Japanese cruiser and to get a chinese bike fixed is very cheap and most shops know all about them .

Now I will let others tell you there junk and they will never ride one but for me in my experiences they are a good value for the money .

3. OP
    OP
    paul-angie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Lee.

Thanks heaps for your comments.

I actually need a cruiser because I am a big guy, and need a nice wide seat, also I do not need a large engine, so the Sinski appears, on the surface, to suit, also the prices are good. What dealer in Dumaguete would you recommend I talk with ?

Paul.

4. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Hondas are made in china now and kawasakis are made in India, lol. There is a reason why 2 bikes that look the same can cost 25% to 40% more in this country. I have had many different kinds and recommend brand name, but the Rusi's seem to be ok if you don't beat the hell out of them. Good luck.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Some will do ok if they are not abused, others are crap from the beginning. Many Chinese brands seem to have improved dramatically over the years. None will stand up to the abuse, or give the service of a Honda, but value wise they are not too bad.

In the P60,000 range (a little over), I would recommend you look at the YBR125 Yamaha. Many foreigners are finding this machine to be quite suitable here.

Larry

6. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If you observe lately, almost everything are made in China... look at the back of your laptops says Made in China. So does the Iphone that is very expensive. Even Lenovo - IBM are made in China now. Theres no such thing as made in Japan now, except for MAZDA.

7. Lee from Canada

Lee from Canada DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no ideas on a dealer prob have to go to Cebu . Are you sure about a street only bike paved roads really limit your riding .And as larry says the ybr 125 is a great bike its a duel sport so the backroads are a option . I take my z200 backs lots but its not a good dirt bike I would rather have the new motorstar r155
    MOTO R155 | Motorstar water cooled inverted forks disc brakes front and back next trip I hope

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Lee makes a valid point. Even right downtown one often encounters patches of mud and uneven pavement, not to mention you may find a pothole or two in your travels. Getting out of town, except for the road south, there are more potholes and patches of bad road than good. A dual sport is much better suited for the most of the "highways" here than is a street bike.

The YBR is not like most dual sports, that are a dirt bike with lights and a horn. The YBR is more the other way, a street bike with all terrain tires and good ground clearance. It is great on the highway and normal gravel/dirt roads inherent to the area. It plows through areas of loose gravel and dirt without breaking a sweat. It is terrific on fuel consumption, we get 50 km+ per liter on the highway, riding double with luggage, and cruising 70-80 KPH. Where it makes it's downfall is serious offroading, it is geared too high for serious trailing, which we also like to do on occasion.

The Motorstar that Lee posted a link to has some pretty odd specs., some of which it would seem would work against each other. It is liquid cooled, which normally I would consider a good thing. However, most motorcycle mechanics here are not mentally equipped to deal with liquid cooling as yet. Overheat an aluminum engine one time and it will never be the same again.

The specs state "lower cam", which to me means it is not overhead cam, so uses pushrods and cam followers, pretty much unheard of in a motorcycle engine since the 70's. Pushrod style engines are generally low rev engines, at higher revs the valves tend to "float". For this reason, most all performance engines in this day and age are overhead cam design. But then it states it has a 62MM bore and a 49MM stroke, which would be much more suitable for a high rev engine, as low end power would be lacking in such a configuration. Indeed, high rev engines have a shorter stroke and larger bore, while engine designed for power at lower revs have longer stroke and smaller bore. Perhaps these specs are wrong?

Larry

9. OP
    OP
    paul-angie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys, you have all been very very helpful.

Paul.

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    [​IMG]

I heartily agree. MOTO R155 | Motorstar

I have a friend who used to be a motorcycle mechanic, among other things, who just bought one, and for 63,000p or so, I don't think you can beat it!