Dumaguete Info Search

Moving to Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 14, 2006.

1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    When we decided to move to Dumaguete we had to do a lot of reasearch. This research was more or less me coming down to Dumaguete and staying in the Bethel Hotel for 3 weeks while I gathered the onformation we needed to make a decision.

Our frist priority was Internet, without Internet we would not be able to handle life or set up this information site about Dumaguete. So Internet was number one.

I was also going through the different Supermarkets and small shops looking for what imported food and other groceries we could buy here. We are used to getting stuff from our own countries and we wanted to keep getting our little fix from home.

Another important thing is of course restaurants and entertainment. And Dumaguete has a lot of very interesting restaurants so that fit the bill. Also I enjoyed the Coco Amigos nights with DVD concerts and beer followed by a few hours in Why Not Disco, so I figured that would solve our party needs.

I was also sent on a mission to find the perfect house... And to be a perfect house it needs to be either on a beach or have a big swimming pool. I did not find any good pool houses up for rent, so I went looking at beach front houses for rent.

Rent on a beach house in Dumaguete was in the 25,000 - 45,000 range per month, which is insane prices for locals here. So naturally most of these places are occupied by foreigners... Which brings me to the next point.

Networking, we wanted to be near an expat community, so we could meet up with and chat with other foreigners as well. Nothing wrong with Filipino friends but we also enjoy talking to people from our own respective countries :smile:

I will continue this list one of these days :smile:

2. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    moving to Dumaguete

Actually, we came over to Dumaguete on the recommendation of several American friends who live by Zambo. We all liked it so well, we decided to move there as well.

We could not find a house to buy either, so we ended up working a deal for 113 m. of land on the ocean across from Apo, and will be starting to build our new home there in just a matter of weeks. All of the permits from Cebu, etc., should be in place in just a day or two.

I am a retired chiropractor and medical mfg., and we will move there in two years when my daughter gets out of high school. She and her best friend will then go to Silliman.

My wife and I plan on coming over in February to see how the house is coming along, and stay there for a couple of weeks.

We really look forward to the move to Dumaguete, and all the fabulous people there.

2blackbelts

3. Jung

Jung DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Across from Apo Island

Just living here about two months myself, we also have a great view of Apo Island. I find myself outside staring out at the ocean and that wonderful island at least 3 to 4 times a day.

We made it over there for some snokeling ablut a wekk ago and it was fantastic. We will be back again and again and again.

If you need something while you are away, as it sounds like we are basically neighboors, please don't hesitate to contact us.

- The Outcast

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Welcome to Dumaguete Info

Hi 2blackbelts and welcome to Dumaguete Info.

I think you are making the right choice on where to retire, Dumaguete is a great place, I am still very excited about being here. I have never lived on the beach before, so that adds a lot to this excitement.

We are in Dauin right across from Apo Island as well, beautiful area, with quite a few good places to snorkle :smile: Well nothing that beats Apo Island of course, but still :smile:

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Apo Island

We spend a lot of time on the view deck just looking out at the ocean, seeing turtles pop up to say hi or even a dolphin far out jumping is a huge kick :smile:

Apo island is beautiful especially around 5PM when the sun is shining on the cliffs there.

Attached Files:

6. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    moving to Dumaguete

Thanx to all for the welcome.

Our lot is a few KM on the Dumaguete side of Zambo. More closely to Malatapay (spelling probably wrong) and the market.

It has taken a little extra time to obtain the building permits and access for the road off the national highway. Plus, we are blacktopping the road, so we had to have another permit for that.

My builder will have to build a small bridge over a water inlet to our property, before they can start bringing in supplies for the house construction.

I also go to Manilla once a year, as I do alot of work for the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment), and treat all the wrestlers. They just got back from Manilla a couple weeks ago from two huge shows.

I really enjoy all the pictures that are posted on this sight, so please keep them coming. Dane, your pictures posted were beautiful.

One problem I am running into, is bringing my motorcycles over when we move. I have eight custom bikes, (Indians, Harleys, Choppers) and want to bring every one over. I guess the tax on import used vehicles is very high, so we are already looking at that situation. Plus, I really need to learn how to ride "Dumaguete" style.

As mentioned, we hope to come over in February, so maybe we all can get together sometime.

All the best,
    2 blackbelts

7. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Bringing over Motor Bikes from US

It is extremely exensive to bring over bikes from the States, I have heard about guys doing it as spare parts then rebuilding the bikes over here, but I don't know anything about bikes or how they actually got the papers cleared for them once they were here and rebuilt.

As you mention, driving not only Dumaguete style, but Filipino style is something you will have to get used to, I can't count the number of times I thought we would have a huge accident on the way somewhere, but we have been lucky so far...knock knock knock...

We are a few clicks from Malatapay, so getting together should be easy :smile: themarine walked down to Malatapay market on the beach a few days ago :smile: so the beach is clear all the way down there.

I am pumping up a lot of pictures on the photo board tonight, not only Dumaguete pictures, but pictures from trips around Visaya, so there should be plenty to look at once I am done :smile:

The market down in Malatapay was a bit dissapointing after all I ahev read and heard, but still good fun to go in and see the livestock market, you do have to pay a hefty fee of 3 Pesos to get in though...

8. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Hi Dane and everyone here,very well you made this site.I am impressed.
    I had been surfing some months ago for any Dumaguete forum and this site wasn't on .This is good for Dumaguete itself ,for visitors thinking of dumaguete as destination,and for people considering relocation in the Philippines.I had been visting this site for sometime and all your contributions ,updates,opinions,pictures posted here makes us ( who are living away) feel closer to Dumaguete...feels like a smaller word.
    It's nice to know Dane is enjoying living in Dauin in the vicinity of Dumaguete,and keeping this site on the go.More power to Dane and everyone here.Have a nice Christmas to all of you here!Enjoy!:D

9. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    moving to Dumaguete

Since we live in the states, Christmas as you probably know is very commercial.

We were wondering, how is Christmas spent in Dumaguete? Are the stores decorated? Are there Christmas lights everywhere?

We sure would like to know, and some pictures of the season would be great.

Thanks so much,
    2 Blackbelts

10. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Christmas in Dumaguete

Christmas is LOOONG in the Philippines, you will hear the first Christmas songs and see the fist Christmas ads as early as AUGUST - no kidding, I saw a Christmas ad with Santa and all in a supermarket in Manila in the middle of August this year.

I will celebrate Christmas on the beach and in Coco Amigos this year :smile: