Dumaguete Info Search

Bacolod Much better drivers in Bacolod

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by SurfinUSA, Sep 24, 2011.

1. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was there a couple days ago. You notice the difference between drivers there and drivers in Dgte. No one coming at you in your lane as they pass other cars-its almost trouble free!

Tricycle drivers that look behind them BEFORE pulling out! And they wait for you to go by before they merge into traffic!

I wonder what/why the difference? I doubt that it's because of enforcement/tickets for bad drivers. It's not just because the roads are wider...

The better manners deteriorate the farther you get out of town though. But it takes quite some distance, maybe 100km or more.

Maybe they are just smarter?

People from Bacolod have commented on the crazy bikers and trike drivers in Dgte.

2. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This is joke thread right?

Do you mean there is actually someplace in Phils where people drive normally?

Hard to believe.....

They just opened a new 2 LANE flyover (overpass) in Puerto yesterday. I said to Mae "I wonder how long before someone gets killed". It has a sharp grade from both directions and a short crest. Of course it has a double yellow stripe in the middle (which means absolutely nothing here). But, I'll bet anyone that some *sshole, probably on a motor, is going to try to pass on that blind crest and do a "head-on".

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I have often remarked about the vast difference between the two cities on the same island. Bacolod has a much better public transit system, people actually obey stop lights and road signs, and as a rule have common sense and courtesy towards other drivers. One can get from one end of town to the other VIA several modes of public transportation in just a few minutes, for as low as 8 pesos. They can drive/ride the same course in a little less time without risking life and limb. Try getting from Daro to Mangnao, and measure your experience against this.

Larry

4. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not sure it it will help but

We have noticed a lot more check points in the Sibulan area. We know of several bikes that have been confiscated because of no registration or other safety problems. Even our family has been affected. They did not ask me for the money to fix it so it have not given them a hard time.

We have also been told that they are chasing down drivers that try to turn around before going through the check point. A good sign I would say.

That being said I do think that the local attitude of indifference to to any rules of the road seems to be at the root of it all. I will take a lot more confiscated motorcycles to get the locals attention. Hopefully the enforcement is not just a short term thing.

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    If they would go out at night and go after all the stuff with no lights I would smile. HAA HAA

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Bacolod driving habits must have changed dramatically since I spent a month there two years ago. There were plenty of "we are going to die" moments riding with taxi drivers there at that time including: driving head on into traffic, changing lanes and not looking, running the stop signs like they aren't even there, and my favorite.....watching a jeepney driver back up at night 200 feet or so, to catch a missed fare, into traffic, with no tail lights!

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :DSense and Sensibilty, comes home. Welcome back KDF. Trust, you find all well at home!:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

8. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0

Attached Files:

9. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    During many conversations regarding all of the violations here, the same reason or justification keeps popping up, lack of money.
    Why don't they wear helmets? No money.
    Why don't they have drivers license? No money.
    Why don't the have registration? No money.
    And this extends to everything about driving including no working lights, no mirrors and on and on.
    But.....the real bottom line IS enforcement.
    If the laws were enforced, the drivers would find a way to pay for the required items. As long as they know enforcement is not being done, they don't try.
    My father in law is a perfect example. He is a security guard. He drove his son's motor for 4 years (and counting) without registration. He has never had a drivers license until I made him get one (and paid for it).
    Enforcement..........

10. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I don't know. Maybe it's because I learned to drive in NY City and at different times had a trucking business and a courier service there, but I don't find driving here all that bad.