Dumaguete Info Search

Mushrooms And growing

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by DavyL200, Jun 20, 2015.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I'm sure there are quite a few of us here that miss good old fresh mushrooms! I for one do. Those things they call mushrooms which come out of a can here are tasteless crap full of preservatives and salt.
    There is a place run by the agricultural dept in valencia which grows white oyster mushrooms which are reasonably cheap to buy but you need to be there early to get them. Oyster mushrooms are ok but still nothing like we get back home.

They seem to use rice husks for the growing medium which is sterilised in a large pressure cooker and then bag in small plastic bags,when cool they add the mushroom spawn and seal them up, I think each bag will produce for around one month. You can also buy the bags with the spawn if you want to try growing the mushrooms yourself at home.

Now I've noticed there are a few mushroom farms in Luzon which do grow good mushrooms and I'm sure with all the bars and restos springing up around here it could be a good little business for anyone wanting to start something new. I should imagine the startup costs are also not too high either. Here is one of the better sites I found and all the spawn can be purchased from them directly in bottles.

Products - Rein's Mushroom

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. DeRail

DeRail DI Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 5
    what is the location of the farm in Valencia?

3. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It's not so much a farm as a couple of sheds, it's the road right behind the police stn about half way along. You will see the regional trial court and it's the building on the left of this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I think the mayor has promised that after the 2016 election they will move to a better premises which they can expand the business more as every day they sell out by 10am.
    It would also be nice to see them grow some shiitake or brown/white button mushrooms.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Considering they should be picked at dawn, I guess it may be selling more but still selling out at 10 am

JMHO here.

JP :whistling:

6. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    After speaking with the agri dept today in valencia I have found they also produce fertiliser as they call it, I would call it enriched compost which they sell by the rice sack and looks good for growing anything.
    It's not located it valencia proper but at bong-ao at the city dump site. The cost is p100 per sack but you need pay for it and get receipt at the agri place next to the court house before collecting.

• Informative Informative x 4