Dumaguete Info Search

My daughter wants to get married in Duma!

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Danny, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone please help me with the following. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    My daughter, a Taiwanese citizen, and her finace, from the UK, want to get married in Duma/Dauin area on 13th August 2011. They want a beach wedding for about 15 to 20 guests. My husband and I will only be arriving from South Africa at the begining of August 2011, to stay in Duma, so I am unable to do the 'leg work' for them.
    They were very interested in using Antulang resort for the wedding, but after all the bad reviews they have seen, they have totally changed their minds!
    1. Can anyone suggest a nice resort on the beach who would do the whole wedding package?
    2. If the resort does not do weddings, can anyone tell me where she can go for her reception afterwards, that is close to the beach resort where she will have the wedding ceremoney? And perhaps suggest a wedding planner/co-ordinator?
    Many thanks for any suggestions
    Regards
    Elaine
    Health, Happiness & Prosperity
    :smile:

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Surprised you have not had any reply's as yet Danny
    Maybe it would be better to marry in Taiwan and honeymoon in Dumaguete.
    From a English point of view, to have a marriage recognized outside of UK you are required to place your Wedding Bans up at the local registry office for three weeks prior to the planned event!......something to think about.
    Oh yes also to marry in Philippines, you have be, as a UK citizen, resident for at least 55 days
    (that is if you marry a Filipina)

3. OP
    OP
    Danny

Danny DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi John Boy. Thanks for the info. Neither of them are Philippino. All they want to do is have the wedding, reception and honeymoon in Dumaguete. Her fiance is going to get the necessary papers from UK and they will be coming over in June to apply for the license, look at the venues, pay the deposits, etc. What we wanted was just to find out from people who are there, where would be a good resort to have the wedding and reception. Ideally something very nice, not too far from Dumaguete, where the resort actually offers wedding packages.
    Thanks for hte reply
    Have a good evening
    Elaine

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Sure Rhoody or Jellyfish can advise on that score try to PM them or just post direct question here regards JB

5. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    JB, the reason why this is a non-starter has been covered and explained in another thread recently. Briefly, the husband-to-be is British, and if he gets married in Taiwan the marriage will not be recognised in UK. This is because Taiwan is not recognised by UK as a country in its own right. Although there are trade and cultural exchanges with Taiwan, there is no official diplomatic exchange with the Court of St. James.

Roger

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    The resort with most experience in Dumaguete is Santa Monica in Banilad(Dumaguete)
    They easily cater to weddings with 200 guests and more.

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Danny, have you researched the Philippines marriage requirements on the internet? I believe there is a residency requirement of 6 mos in order to apply for a marriage license and that was for a foreigner marrying a local, I have no idea how that would work in your daughter's case. My suggestion would be to get married somewhere where it is easier than here and then honeymoon here.

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Las Vegas?

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Danny was informed of that in the other thread a week or two ago, so I will assume they have found a workaround for that.

As for an answer to Danny's question of this thread, Santa Monica does weddings.

Santa Monica Beach Resort
    Banilad
    Dumaguete City 6200
    035 420 0155

Larry

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0