Dumaguete Info Search

My motorcycle was impounded

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pkrbrad, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Last night as I was going into Tanjay I saw something that happens often here in the Philippines. A bunch of motorcycle parked on the side of the road with the drivers waiting for the Check Point that has been set up to quit for the night so they can go on, knowing that if the proceed they will have a problem. I knew what was a head but since I am legal, and Always just get waved through I proceeded to the Check Point. Last night however they waved me over to check me. I thought oh well, got out to get my papers. Guess what they weren't there. I told the officer in charge that I could have someone there in less than 30 minutes with proof that I had all the papers. He wouldn't have that, saying we might leave in 5-10 minutes. He confiscated my drivers license, and impounded my motorcycle, saying for me to be at the Bais City LTO office at 8am with the papers and he would reduce the charge for no registration to failure to have it in my possession. Since we are on Philippine time I got there a little after 9am to give them a chance to show up. Guess what? He wasn't around. The guy at the desk said they were having a meeting in Dumaguete. Please sit and wait. I am not one to wait and knowing that waiting here might be all day, I told him, "I want to settle up so I can get out of there". So I paid the 235 peso fine. He said he would text me when to come in and get the bike. This is rediculos for all this to happen for a $5 fine.
    I hadn't heard from him at 1:30 so I went in and within 10 minutes I was gone with my bike.
    Has this happened to anyone else? Were they just shaking me down for Christmas money? Should I of offered him money when he pulled me over?
    Thanks

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    A friend of me always has a recent newspaper with him and if some police or LTO officer find something suspiciuos with him, he gives the newspaper to the officer and tells him to look on page 3,because there is an article about him in the newspaper.
    It always works.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Just something to think about, where else in the world can you go down the road without any papers except a drivers licence? The fine was only 5 bucks and some BS time? I think you got off easy. Excuse me, I don't want to sound bad, Just my 5c's worth.
    Ron

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    In the US,you can lose your car just for parking somewhere at the wrong time. They'll tow your car away and charge you some serious cash to get it back out again. And that amount goes up every single day.
    Years back it cost me almost 1000 dollars because I didn't see a "street cleaning 4-8am" sign.

5. OP
    OP
    pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    about two weeks ago, I noticed that half of my license plate was broken loose. I had it attached with some heavy duty zip ties that I had brought from the US. I was puzzled why it was broken off. But after my papers not being where I put them (in the tool Kit). Since the papers were gone and the plate was almost ripped off. I have assumed someone was trying to have something to show when they were stopped at the check points. Taught me a lesson. My papers will be on me at all times. Not on the bike.
    Brad

6. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only carry my Chinese driving license, and explain "I will not give it to you to check, I will hold it and you can read it"

I never carry my registration papers with me ( I have 4 motorcycles). "Did you think I stole this Honda Wave "? Recently I have not been able to get 2010 sticker for my bikes from LTO, no stock.

Check their ID's as have been stopped by people who say they are LTO or police and after realise many inconstancies.

Best not to stop, " did not see you" saves the drama, a view shared by many foreigners here.

7. Tax refugee

Tax refugee DI Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Hi ya

Do you have to carry the original or are photo copies sufficient?

8. OP
    OP
    pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Photo Copies are the only way to go. I would hate to hand them the original. You might not get them back.

9. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    A few months ago I took my tricycle to pick up my niece at a school function. My Labrador retriever loves to ride in the sidecar and as it was late at night I let her ride along. We were stopped at a traffic check point and the tall lady we have all seen directing traffic downtown in high heels stuck her head in the sidecar to ask for the papers. You can imagine the chaos that ensued and we were quickly waved through while her colleagues tried to settle her down

10. Island Guy

Island Guy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always start with the "did not see you"and it works. And never give up your original copies.