Dumaguete Info Search

my recent driver's license renewal experience

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by kelpguy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i just renewed my drivers license and thot i'd post the details here for newbies like myself.

- i went to the robinson's mall LTO office and got sent next door for lab tests

- went to the lab test facility and i had to pee into a little bottle, after which, i was told to sit down and wait to be called for the eye test.

- got called into the eye test in less than 5 minutes

- after the eye test, i was sent to window three (3) and had my foto taken, then i sat down and waited to be called to the cashier to pay for the lab service.

- i got called to the cashier in a few minutes, paid p400 and i was given a receipt and sent next door to LTO.

less than 30 minutes

at LTO:
    - i handed my lab documents to a LTO person behind the glass and was told to sit down until i was called.

- i hardly had time to find a seat and sit down before i was called to the cashier.
    - i paid p6,200 and i was given a temporary ''ok to drive'' document and told to come back in april 2017 to see if my plastic license was ready for pickup.

less than 15 minutes at LTO. now... that's what i call the ''express lane.''

RVS Drug Testing Center and Medical Clinic, inc
    632-0017

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Surely this is a Typo? :wink:

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    opps... right, jack, it shoulda read p620. i never was good with numbers or was that history?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I applied for a Filipino drivers license back in June last year (conversion based on my existing Dutch drivers license).
    The "medical" examination turned out to be no more than a "I just want your money in exchange for a document" scheme,
    and LTO is apparently still looking for plastic cards to issue a proper drivers license at this time, been there to enquire several times, but sofar it has been a game of continuously moving targets. We'll see if I will get my drivers license before it is June again.

5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I got my new license with "OK to drive" stamp in October, 2016. Had to use the LTO near Freedom Park since it was a first time issuance, but it was also fairly quick. The medical facility down the block just made me pee in the cup even though they gave me paperwork for a physical (maybe because I could walk in and out under my own power, I was physically fit enough.)

I went back to the same LTO last week to get motorcycle added to my receipt. I was told that my plastic card was ready and I would have to get that first. Evidently they are issuing plastic licenses based on when you received your receipt. I went through that process which was about 30 minutes, picked up my plasti license and left because I had other things to do that morning.

Came back later in the afternoon for the motorcycle endorsement. Another cupful of pee and this time saw a doctor for about 30 seconds while he tested my color vision only. Back to the LTO where they took the plastic license I had received a few hours ago, waited about 30 minutes and was issued a brand new receipt with the "Okay to drive" stamp...but with the motorcycle code. They told me I would have to wait until April or May to get the plastic card. Nice.

6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Why the separate trips for car and motorcycle? Did you have motorcycle endorsement on your home license?

7. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That's it exactly. My US driver license did not have motorcycle on it, so they would not give that to me on the first go. I had to wait a week, but that turned into almost 4 months before I got back to do it. Had I gone back a week later, I could have saved myself the pesos for the pee test and "physical exam." But they are only good for 15 days (I think....not sure about that time frame.) To be fair, the medical people told me that the exam could be used again but that it would expire if not used soon. It was 300 pesos for the medical testing, so I was willing to take that small loss and do the physical again at a later date.

One thing I was not prepared for: They wanted to see the original receipt for my scooter (I guess to show them I would actually be needing the motorcycle license.) Oddly, they didn't ask for the registration. I suppose they assumed that it was a new motorcycle and I wouldn't have the registration. My scooter and paperwork were home in Valencia. Luckily, the dealer (GUD) was only a 15 minute walk away so I went down there to get a copy of the receipt. Miracle: That very noontime the dealer had received my registration papers after a wait of 4 1/2 months! I had copies made of the registration and original receipt, walked back to the LTO and they were satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If you received your license last June, I bet your plastic permanent card is at the LTO waiting for you. If you're in the area, drop in and ask the young lady at the front desk.

When I got mine in October, 2016, I asked when the cards would be there. They had no idea, really. So I asked if there was a number to call and he wrote this on the back of the receipt. You might try calling if you don't want to take a trip down there. I offer no guarantees about this number, but supposedly it is for the LTO office there: 422-0442 (That's all he wrote. If there are any numbers that need to go before it...like a Dumaguete area code, I really don't know what they would be.)

9. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    Yes they have the plastic cardss now, wifey got hers yesterday.

10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    My licenses is up for renewal in April. I can't remember if I have to wait until the actual month of April to renew or if it needs to be renewed up to 30 days before expiry or what. Anyone SURE? I remember being told last time that I could not renew it early but when is early?