Dumaguete Info Search

my room is so hot... need an aircon (used)... do you know anyone that sells one?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Lana Castillo, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lana Castillo

Lana Castillo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey everyone!

Just ran away from home and staying in a boarding house. I didn't expect the room to be so warm especially in the midday and afternoons. It's intolerable... I can't take it anymore... were can I get an inexpensive airconditioning unit? okay ra if it's already used, as long as it's still functioning...

can anyone help?

Thanks!

au revoir!

2. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    We have an old unit, that we are not using for a number of years, and which would be fit for a room in a boarding house. I will ask my fiancee to test, if its still working. And if its ok, I will get back to you.

3. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    Kindly check wid ur boarding house if they allow you to install an air conditioning unit. Dumaguete is a little place to hide when running away from home. Enjoy your stay but please take care.

parlez vous bisaya?

4. OP
    OP
    Lana Castillo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    really?

do i need to ask permission? the room is leased to me.... so i can put whatever i want to in it... right? is that the way it is? may you please enlighten me... what does the law say about leased spaces?

besides, our landlady must surely agree....the room is unbearably warm...even my mattress gets warm, and the chairs, and the curtains...

to fundiver198: i'll be waiting for your reply regarding the old aircon unit. you can send me an e-mail if it's finalized together with your asking price. *please don't make it expensive* okay ra?

to culumbinus:

je parle Bisayan tres bien.... *bisaya man ko dong* hehe

thanks for the advice. i will take care. it's better here all by myself, free and independent, rather than going back to a lion's den I call home.

5. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1

Are utilities included in the rent? If so, then I am sure she will want more for renting a unit with an aircon.

If you find a cool boarding house, let me know...sometimes I feel like running away from home also! ;-)

A tout a l'heur mon ami independant!

6. OP
    OP
    Lana Castillo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Merci beaucoup! derivative guru...

tu es mon ange!

7. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I have noticed some second-hand aircons for sale at a place along Perdices Street, just south of and across the street from the new Yamaha dealer.

Also, someone on this board mentioned JRAS...which I think is on the North Highway near Claytown.

Personally, I prefer brand new appliances in the Philippines as you get only a small discount for buying used it seems. I think a new .5 hp based model aircon will only run you P6 to P7,000 at Du Ek Sam, Centrum, United Motoliance, or similar places.

J'espère que vous avez une grande aventure!

Votre ange,
    DG

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... and that is about the electric cost you safe in just a few month compared to an old one.. , same w/ Ref and other appliances ...

9. OP
    OP
    Lana Castillo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Merci beaucoup! derivative guru...

tu es mon ange!

10. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    You should ask your landlord for permission, since installing an aircon unit requires a hole to be made in the wall of the room. For the same reason, your landlord might also insist, that you leave the aircon in the room, if and when you move out, as it is now part of the premises.

And don`t expect, that your landlord will be willing to pay you as much as one peso for improving his property. Most landlords will grap any possible chance or excuse to rip you off. Sorry to sound so negative, but I am talking from bitter experience here 

If use of electricity is included in the rent, obviously your landlord will want to hike the rent, since an aircon use quite a lot of electricity. And unless your consumption of electricity is measured separately from that of the other tenants, agreeing exactly how much extra, you should pay, might also become a potential conflict between you and your landlord, and/or an excuse to rip you off.

Others are right, that the cost to run an aircon is more important in the long run than the cost to buy it. However I am not really sure, if it is true, that a cheap new unit is necesserely more effective than a similar five year old one, like the one I have.

I would presume actually, that the destinction is more between a quality product from a recognized brand, and a low-price product from e.g. China. The latter will not only use more electricity, but also have a much greater tendency to break down.

All in all you might want to consider moving to another place, which is less hot, rather than installing an aircon in the place, that you live now. But if you are still interested in purchasing a cheap second hand unit, I will ask my fiancee to check up on ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.