Dumaguete Info Search

my turn to rant!!!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by expatron, Nov 2, 2013.

1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    First of all I have been very happy living here for many years, but sometimes things get under my skin like now. I'm home sitting with my wife and 2 other good ladies all married to English speaking expats. Do you think they would include me in the conversation by speaking more than 1 word in English!!!!!! pissed off but rant over haa haa. I know I'm not the only one......

2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Ron, knock the lid off another SMB,, you'll get over it,, see you next week at Mia's for a session,, we can discuss..

3. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Good idea... off I go... see you on your return

4. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When my wife and her gf's/family do that, I just get up and walk out and go wherever/do whatever I want to do...I don't say a word...I just go. Come back when I feel like it.

5. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    I demand English in my house and car, not that I get it all the time though, my asawa's sis said she topped the class in English comprehension grammar etc.I said you have lived with us for 18 months imagine how good your English would be if you spoke even 80% of the time in English.
    I get pissed off when that happens to me, I say if you want to talk in secret then fine I am out of here, and say all of you are excellent in speaking English, it is different if ones English is poor, then if they want me involved in the conversation my asawa translates.

6. Last Call

Last Call DI Junior Member

Physicist
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm living in the states and when my wives friends and distant relations visit they are always talking Tagalog, Waray or a mix of something. Sometimes her friends and relatives talk about me, but never will my wife talk about me. She has come to realize that while I am not fluent in any of the Philippine languages I have the ability to understand 80% of what is said. Even if I am sitting in the other room watching sports on the TV and typing away on my laptop, she knows that I am listening to all the details of the conversation. When they talk in front of me I have this dumb far away look that I use to keep them from knowing that I am listening.

7. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Next time ask them how they would feel if you were whispering to a friend the entire time you were all together..

Basically the same thing

Or better yet, arrange a demonstration with a buddy-both of you whispering, laughing etc

8. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Wow....you mean I'm not the only one this happens too!
    I know about ten words in Tagalog, but "Oh siggy" works very well, or Casa bott? don't know to how to spell the words but it sure changes their faces when I say it. :D

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have same issue here. My wife's sister is also married to a foreigner and when the 4 of us go out to eat the 2 will talk in their own language making it difficult to join the conversation.

So we started grumbling about the issue at the table, and our wives were asking what we were saying. We told them we're speaking English so they can't understand (joke).

Both sisters speak English perfectly, but don't have the consideration to speak English in their conversations so we can join in.

I still love my wife very much, and I'm happy to be here. All the family and neighbors are always eager to practice their English by talking to me when I go outside, and all very friendly.

10. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    LOL, sounds pretty much like my experience here in the States. To keep Asawa's girlfriends offguard, when they ask if I understand Tagalog, I say "kunti lang" (just a little). They don't know quite what to make of that, and seem to be a LITTLE more cautious about what they say :smile: