Dumaguete Info Search

Need help: my laptop does not connect to the internet

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by echir, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The status bar in my laptop says I am connected to the wireless LAN which is a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. But then when I use the browsers I cannot access the internet.

Does any of you guys know what's the problem? This is the first time this has occurred. I already tried resetting the TCP/IP stack by typing netsh int ip reset reset.log, netsh winsock reset catalog on the command prompt and reset the wireless network. There seems to be no problem with the device manager but I am updating them nevertheless. Does any of you guys know what could be the problem here?

I was recently attacked by virus and has ran the AVG and an anti-malware software.

Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Poor signal strength? Have you tried different locations? McDonalds? Robinson's Mall? They both have free wireless.

3. Malfeis

Malfeis DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I used to have similar problems when I changed the modem. The network adapter is storing static data which has to be reset as stated below:

To reset the adapter:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Disable. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Right-click the adapter icon again, and then click Enable. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

The adapter is now reset. Try connecting to the network again, or run Network Diagnostics to verify that your network adapter is now working correctly.

Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.

Here a link if this doesn't work:

Troubleshoot network adapter problems

Thanks for your feedback if it worked!

4. Mike17

Mike17 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Being connected to the wlan doesn't necessarily give you access to the internet, they're 2 different things. 1st thing is open a command prompt and type ipconfig/ all and verify that you have a valid IP address and DNS servers. You should be able to see signal strength on the wireless icon, 54Mb/s is max for a g network. If it's too low that could be the problem.

5. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    try digitech in dumaguete for help or a place in robinsons has a computer help place second floor call provider to come out and get connected

6. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    As it turned out my laptop just had virus which could not anymore be killed by my antivirus software because the virus blocked the establishment of internet browsing...So my friend just let my laptop connect the internet through his computer so my antivirus could be updated, and lo and behold, the virus was killed and my laptop is able to browse the internet again...

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  8. donclark

donclark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    use esetNOD 32 antivirus... i'll post links for free link for antivirus..just check my update

9. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Also run your virus scanner with the computer in "safe mode" and it will catch more infections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.